Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Practicing Digital Photography: Weather, Clouds, Storms

Here is your opportunity to post some of the photos you have taken of weather, clouds, and storms. They can be from any season, or time of the year. Post some general information such as the type of camera you used, settings used, as well as info about the setting if you can for the other members.

Feel free to add to the thread as you like and have fun practicing your digital photography skills!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Disappointed nobody has posted any clouds yet!. I love clouds, their shapes and their colours but I often find it hard to get the image to look the same as the scene. Anyway, here's three to get things started
    Pentax K-30, f11, 1/80 sec, ISO 200, +0.7 Exp Bias, 42mm kit lens.
    Pentax K-30, f11, 1/200 sec, ISO 100, 55mm kit lens.
    Pentax K-30, f3.5, 1/50 sec, ISO 200, +0.7 Exp Bias, 18mm kit lens.

First and third needed lightening a bit, second one no pp just cloned out some annoying power lines.

Coachline.

(Jan 28, 2014, 11:33)coachline56 Wrote:  Disappointed nobody has posted any clouds yet!. I love clouds, their shapes and their colours but I often find it hard to get the image to look the same as the scene. Anyway, here's three to get things started
Pentax K-30, f11, 1/80 sec, ISO 200, +0.7 Exp Bias, 42mm kit lens.
Pentax K-30, f11, 1/200 sec, ISO 100, 55mm kit lens.
Pentax K-30, f3.5, 1/50 sec, ISO 200, +0.7 Exp Bias, 18mm kit lens.

First and third needed lightening a bit, second one no pp just cloned out some annoying power lines.

Coachline.

Beautiful series Coachline. I especially like the first one, the clouds looks so majestic! Terrific image. The clouds on your 2nd shot are amazing, I've never seen such a massive cloud cover so close to the ground, it looks surreal. Nice fiery looking sky in the third. I'm surprised no one else is on this thread, I'll join you and add a few. All are older photos taken with my Kodak Easyshare camera. Last photo was taken from inside a rooftop gazebo. Pam

[/quote]

Beautiful series Coachline. I especially like the first one, the clouds looks so majestic! Terrific image. The clouds on your 2nd shot are amazing, I've never seen such a massive cloud cover so close to the ground, it looks surreal. Nice fiery looking sky in the third. I'm surprised no one else is on this thread, I'll join you and add a few. All are older photos taken with my Kodak Easyshare camera. Last photo was taken from inside a rooftop gazebo. Pam

Hi Pam,

Thank you for your kind comments.

I saw your photos on my phone this morning, just after 6am, and they looked very good. Now I'm back from work and seeing them on my pc screen. They really are three cracking shots. Very hard to pick a favourite, all equally excellent.

On a side note, I had a Kodak 4530 Easyshare but it never gave me as good results as your Kodak has, from what I can remember!.

Regards

Coachline.

Hi Pam,

Thank you for your kind comments.

I saw your photos on my phone this morning, just after 6am, and they looked very good. Now I'm back from work and seeing them on my pc screen. They really are three cracking shots. Very hard to pick a favourite, all equally excellent.

On a side note, I had a Kodak 4530 Easyshare but it never gave me as good results as your Kodak has, from what I can remember!.

Regards

Coachline.

[/quote]

Hi Coachline,

I really appreciate your positive comments. When I first saw the name of this thread I wasn't sure if I had photos that applied. I don't have much in the way of weather or storm pics, but I was certain I could come up with something where clouds were concerned. After some digging I chose these three. It's amazing the extra element that clouds add to a photo. After looking at some of my older vacation photos I was surprised at how many good pictures I got with that Kodak Easyshare camera. I upgraded a few years ago to a Nikon bridge camera and also bought a Canon DSLR last year, which had been on my bucket list for years. Both good cameras, each excels in different areas. Gave my Kodak to a good friend who has a 7 year old daughter, but had no camera. She and her husband and daughter just got back from Disneyland and said they got great pictures with it-haven't seen their photos yet but they were very happy with them. It's proof that you don't always have to spend a lot of money to capture those special moments or get a decent shot. Pam

These are not the best quality pics. but interesting formation!

Attached Files Image(s)

Life is good. Capture it!

Like your first shot a lot Clicker, very dramatic.

Regards

Coachline

Clouds above Benarty Hill, Kinross-shire lit by rising sun yesterday.

Pentax K-30 and Sigma 24mm.

1. Rainstorm

A heavy rain shower moving over the Bedfordshire countryside in September:

[ Panasonic LX7 compact camera, lens zoomed to 10mm (equiv. to 50mm on full frame), f/4, 1/320s, ISO 80. ]

2. Rainbow

This appeared very briefly after a heavy shower over Hertfordshire in March:

[ Pentax K-5 DSLR, 28mm prime lens, f/8, 1/400s, ISO 200. ]

Philip

Two nice shots Philip.

You certainly captured the scale of the rain shower and it's always nice to see a rainbow.

Coachline.

Thank you, Coachline.

Philip

Awesome photos, everyone! Here's my take on some cotton clouds Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

(Feb 7, 2014, 03:49)kNox Wrote:  Awesome photos, everyone! Here's my take on some cotton clouds Smile

Very nice kNox,

Regards

Coachline

Clouds over Cliveden

This photo was intended to show one of the pillars of the garden wall behind the Orangery at Cliveden (a National Trust property), but I included more sky than is usual for this sort of shot, because the clouds were so interesting - almost like breaking waves.

The image was taken back in October (2013) in the orange (!) glow of the late evening sunlight, using a Pentax K-5 II with 18-135 zoom lens at 36mm, ISO 250, f/11, and 1/160s, PP in PaintShop Pro X4.

Philip

(Feb 3, 2014, 12:17)coachline56 Wrote:  Like your first shot a lot Clicker, very dramatic.

Regards

Coachline

Thanks... much appreciated! Sharon

This was taken just outside our RV here in South Texas. I couldn't resist getting a shot.

Attached Files Image(s)

I have been cleaning out files today...so also came across these taken at the Darmoor Moors in south England. We got to visit England in 2012...what a wonderful time we had, staying at B & B's and we rented a car. This particular day was very dismal and wet, but really interesting as we literally were standing in the clouds and looking down into the valley. The horses/ponies stayed right next to our cars to stay warm. A kind gentleman/farmer moved them out of our way so we could leave...we glanced back as we got to the road and they were nicely nestled behind his car! LOL!

Attached Files Image(s)

Sorry! I am on a role! Thought you might enjoy this sunrise. I thought the clouds were fantastic.
Shutter Priority, 1/64 sec. f11 ISO 320 21mm (18-250 Sigma) on Canon 7D and used a tripod.
This is at a winery in St. Thomas, Ont. Our photography group goes out every Sunday morning before dawn for about 1 1/2 hrs. or so and then to breakfast. I have learned a lot from my mentors. Sometimes that 1 1/2 hrs. is all we get in a week, so we look forward to it very much!

Attached Files Image(s)

(Feb 11, 2014, 19:20)Clicker2014 Wrote:  This was taken just outside our RV here in South Texas. I couldn't resist getting a shot.

WOW, The photo is amazing!

(Feb 12, 2014, 07:45)kNox Wrote:  
(Feb 11, 2014, 19:20)Clicker2014 Wrote:  This was taken just outside our RV here in South Texas. I couldn't resist getting a shot.

Have to agree with kNox and the last one is pretty amazing too!

Coachline

The image was taken back in October (2013) in the orange (!) glow of the late evening sunlight, using a Pentax K-5 II with 18-135 zoom lens at 36mm, ISO 250, f/11, and 1/160s, PP in PaintShop Pro X4.

Philip
[/quote]

Beautiful, sharp image Philip. Really wispy clouds...

Regards

Coachline

(Feb 12, 2014, 11:51)coachline56 Wrote:  
(Feb 12, 2014, 07:45)kNox Wrote:  

Have to agree with kNox and the last one is pretty amazing too!

Coachline

Thanks kNox and Coachline! Very much appreciate the comments.

(Feb 11, 2014, 14:33)MrB Wrote:  Clouds over Cliveden

This photo was intended to show one of the pillars of the garden wall behind the Orangery at Cliveden (a National Trust property), but I included more sky than is usual for this sort of shot, because the clouds were so interesting - almost like breaking waves.

Philip

Yes...these are interesting Philip. Very nice shot! My mother calls these type of clouds "horses tails" and said that if they are in the sky you won't get rain. :-) She is too cute.

Thank you Coachline and Clicker.

The cloud formations in Post #16 are amazing Clicker. Also, I like the clouds and colours in Post #18; however, judging this one as a photograph, I think that it might be better cropped towards a 2:1 format, as there is little contributing to the enjoyment of the shot in the bottom part.

Philip

More clouds. At sea off Key West. D5100 Nikon AF-S DX 18-55mm (at 18mm) 1/640 f/13.