Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Prairie Dogs?

I can't decide whether these guys are Black Tailed Prairie Dogs or just lump them in with Ground Squirrels... They are a burrowing rodent and these were found near the Lake at Sunshine Meadows Alberta. They seem not to be fearful of humans and are very curious as to, if what you have, is edible!

all taken by Canon 1D MklV with Canon ef 24-105 f4L Is
Most were in the f18 range and around 160th. ISO was 400 without and compensation.

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Nice images Rolf. I would say ground squirrel rather than black tailed prairie dog as the ground squirrels have the longer, bushier tails and larger ears.
They belong to the same family.

Peter

Photography is a never-ending journey

Thank you Peter! I have, since posting , done a little more digging and found this website... http://canadianbiodiversity.mcgill.ca/en...yn_lud.htm which seems to show the P.Dog... and that it is indeed a very close relative of the Ground Squirrel... I also now think that the first image is of a Female with the remainder being the larger plumper males..
Either way... they are an easy subject to find and photograph.

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

(Feb 3, 2015, 13:45)Rolf Wrote:  Thank you Peter! I have, since posting , done a little more digging and found this website... http://canadianbiodiversity.mcgill.ca/en...yn_lud.htm which seems to show the P.Dog... and that it is indeed a very close relative of the Ground Squirrel... I also now think that the first image is of a Female with the remainder being the larger plumper males..
Either way... they are an easy subject to find and photograph.

Kind regards

Rolf

Further digging suggests that they may be Richardson's Ground Squirrels!! The more people I talk to the more I get confuddled! Huh apparently often confused with Prairie Dogs by even the locals... including, it appears, pet shops in the UK that sell them!Undecided

Kind regards
Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Super Pics. Ed.

To each his own!

A perennial problem Rolf; our photography can easily get us bogged down in other disciplines such as natural history and nomenclature of plant and animal life. I can't get enough of it but it drives me to near distraction at times. The main problem is the natural plus the made made variations in species and sub-species; not to mention local variations due to environmental factors. Are we photographers or naturalists! I don't think we can excel in both.

Look forwards to seeing more shots of your Canadian wildlife.

Peter

They are beautiful -- I like the squirrel by the pink flowers. You know, they look so real it's almost as if you could pet them (but they bite, I know........)

(Feb 3, 2015, 13:22)Rolf Wrote:  I can't decide whether these guys are Black Tailed Prairie Dogs or just lump them in with Ground Squirrels... They are a burrowing rodent and these were found near the Lake at Sunshine Meadows Alberta. They seem not to be fearful of humans and are very curious as to, if what you have, is edible!

all taken by Canon 1D MklV with Canon ef 24-105 f4L Is
Most were in the f18 range and around 160th. ISO was 400 without and compensation.

Kind regards

Rolf

(Feb 3, 2015, 14:20)Plantsman Wrote:  A perennial problem Rolf; our photography can easily get us bogged down in other disciplines such as natural history and nomenclature of plant and animal life. I can't get enough of it but it drives me to near distraction at times. The main problem is the natural plus the made made variations in species and sub-species; not to mention local variations due to environmental factors. Are we photographers or naturalists! I don't think we can excel in both.

Look forwards to seeing more shots of your Canadian wildlife.

Peter

Thanks for the reply Peter and I take your point... I just wish the standard of supposed knowledgeable fauna photos that purport to show a species are better and more defined so an identification by those who do not excel as naturalists can have a fighting chance of naming an animal without egging our faces...Undecided I did study bugs...entomology (not Bug -ery as some have called it!) and do have the naming regime in me already... but when, as you say, there are so many variations... come back Blatella GermanicaBig Grin all is forgiven!

Kind regards

Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Coincidence Rolf, I was watching a BBC nature program last evening which included the Arctic ground squirrel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Arctic_Ground_Squirrel

Peter

Very interesting series!

(Feb 5, 2015, 04:34)Plantsman Wrote:  Coincidence Rolf, I was watching a BBC nature program last evening which included the Arctic ground squirrel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Arctic_Ground_Squirrel

Peter

Hi Peter!

Thanks for the link... miss the Beeb!! - The squirrels do look remarkably like the guys I photographed! I spoke to Fish and Wildlife and they said shoot one and bring it in.... we'll take a look at it and let you know! I don't think I am that desperate to know... the creatures themselves don't know what we call them and seem little the worse for it! Appreciate your time and help

Kind regards

Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

(Feb 5, 2015, 11:00)Jeffbridge Wrote:  Very interesting series!

Glad you found them interesting Smile Even their naming has a debate of interest! Big Grin

Kind regards

Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Jan 19, 2018, 16:42
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Nov 21, 2011, 10:56