Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RCMP Musical Ride

I managed this week to get off of this little island for the first time in two years! As many of you know, I have ongoing spinal issues that keep me bedridden most of the time, (puts a serious damper on my picture taking!) but our daughter Jacqueline, who is preparing for a policing career with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, talked us into attending the world famous RCMP Musical Ride, as they stopped in the town of Lewisporte (NL) on Tuesday.

This was the first time that we have seen them in person, and what a wonderful show they put on for the several thousand excited spectators, young and old, on the warmest evening of the summer. There was a meet and greet, a display of crowd control/riot gear, an explosives containment unit, police boats and even a pristine vintage 1961 Mercury Monterey RCMP patrol car.

But the highlight for me was the horses and riders, and the complex execution of a variety of intricate figures and cavalry drill beautifully choreographed to music. The 32 riders are, first and foremost, regular RCMP officers, who volunteer for duty with the Musical Ride, a long recognized part of our Canadian heritage and national identity, becoming ambassadors of goodwill by helping to raise funds for local charities.

I think the highlight for Jacqueline was having an opportunity to talk at length with some long-time members of the force about her own plans of becoming an RCMP officer.

These images were captured using a Sony A500 and A550. The photos were shot with the Samyang (Rokinon) 8mm fisheye, and Minolta 100-300mm APO (D). All were taken handheld. It was one of the trickiest shoots I have ever done; much different from my usual casual Fogo Island landscapes. It was indeed quite difficult to compose and focus quickly enough, as these huge beasts are always on the move, and the light was not the best! Not to mention all the children pushing a shoving for a better view! So not my best work, but rather this is more an interesting set of snaps that captured the fun and excitement of my family's lovely evening's entertainment.

Next year the RCMP Musical Ride will be touring throughout the USA and Europe. If you ever get the opportunity, be sure to catch one of these terrific shows! The sight of all those Mounties with their distinctive red serge and broad-brimmed Stetson hat riding in perfect formation is really something to behold. A perfect international identifier of our "True North Strong and Free"!

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

[Image: DSC00218a900pix.jpg]

[Image: DSC00285a900pix-1.jpg]

[Image: DSC00200a900pix-1.jpg]

[Image: DSC00314a900pix.jpg]

[Image: DSC00343a900pix.jpg]

[Image: DSC00279a900pix-1.jpg]

I really like the mix of wide and tele shots. It must have taken some quick lens changes. The final shot in the series really has good compositon.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Sep 4, 2017, 21:25