Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ranger Tower

Not happy with what I did, but, I like the shot. Critique?

Attached Files Image(s)

See where you are coming from. Was it not possible to include the base, were you at widest angle. Ed.

To each his own!

Why are YOU not happy? Only you know what you saw and expected when you took the shot... What is it you don't like...if its the post processing.... why do to much of it? Get the shot right or pretty close to righ at the time you pressed the shutter release... then you need only make very small subtle adjustments... you don't have to "do" post at all... it's not mandated especially if the image is good to start with... by that I mean the way that the image is rendered not composition... Just food for thought... Smile

I do like the subject... but shooting a dark object against a very light background and one aspect usually loses out... I am thinking the original was colour?

The file was 627Kb and I have made a few very minor adjustments to try to get a little more detail in the clouds/sky but there is really not a lot of data left to play with... and get a little more detail out of the tower observation hut wood work facing you. I think maybe it was a little over sharpened... the edges of contrast are not smooth so I have applied a very small amount of NR and a radius of 1.5 but not much help. The file data is now 863Kb's.

Try taking these sort of shots with a good quality Polarising filter? Use a tripod and remote release... clarity and focus will be much better, obviating the need for sharpening afterwards to enhance the visual impression of detail. Your size (need to check..) I think is 58mm. There are many makes... Nikon for about $95, B&W around $80, Hoya - $45 and up, Tiffin - $23 and so you have choice for quality and for budget. The main differences are the coating and it's thickness and the material out of which the ring is made... brass would be expensive, aluminium a little less with plastic being the least expensive. Ask at your local shop see what they have and perhaps they can guide you?

So, let me know what you think of the modified version of your image? The changes are quite subtle... much more and it will look very OTT.

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

When I see this I become more convinced that working on an already edited pic, in conjunction with file size, is not a good combination! ( And I do work on a Smart Object). Ed.

To each his own!

I know you are right Ed... the file (data)sizes really are too small... but, I think that unless some kind of visual reference can be made that helps with verbal descriptions, a lot of people starting out in their photo journeys, may not comprehend the terminology used, and may have difficulty in understanding the critique that is given to help? It's a kind of double edged sword... the dammed if you do idiom plays out...

Maybe you have ideas that will help others without re-editing?

Look forward to your suggestions

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

I was in a "hurry", side of the busy road......Am going back to get the "base" and "wide angle" Thanks.
(Feb 27, 2015, 14:58)EdMak Wrote:  See where you are coming from. Was it not possible to include the base, were you at widest angle. Ed.

Hi Rolf, yes, I do see the changes, subtle though they are. My problem is I'm not technologically advanced with the camera and the different uses of the different menus, yet. I see that it will take a considerable (long) amount of time (that's why I ask for critique, because it all goes in my learning manual). I can't exactly tell you why I'm unhappy, just that it isn't doing what my visual brain wanted to see (inexperience). I know what I see when I see the shot, but, it doesn't always come out right like the pines one did. Yes, I like PaintShop, and, I like to play with the post processing....It's so cool. Ok, now, I have to go buy filters and remote release??? And, then learn them. You are right, get the shot right, and it doesn't take post processing. Well, some day when I've got all the equipment and stuff to do these right. As always, I really appreciate the time that you professionals take to teach me this art. I can only get better with your help. This is the "rest of my life" passion. Have a nice weekend......

(Feb 27, 2015, 15:10)Rolf Wrote:  Why are YOU not happy? Only you know what you saw and expected when you took the shot... What is it you don't like...if its the post processing.... why do to much of it? Get the shot right or pretty close to righ at the time you pressed the shutter release... then you need only make very small subtle adjustments... you don't have to "do" post at all... it's not mandated especially if the image is good to start with... by that I mean the way that the image is rendered not composition... Just food for thought... Smile

I do like the subject... but shooting a dark object against a very light background and one aspect usually loses out... I am thinking the original was colour?

The file was 627Kb and I have made a few very minor adjustments to try to get a little more detail in the clouds/sky but there is really not a lot of data left to play with... and get a little more detail out of the tower observation hut wood work facing you. I think maybe it was a little over sharpened... the edges of contrast are not smooth so I have applied a very small amount of NR and a radius of 1.5 but not much help. The file data is now 863Kb's.

Try taking these sort of shots with a good quality Polarising filter? Use a tripod and remote release... clarity and focus will be much better, obviating the need for sharpening afterwards to enhance the visual impression of detail. Your size (need to check..) I think is 58mm. There are many makes... Nikon for about $95, B&W around $80, Hoya - $45 and up, Tiffin - $23 and so you have choice for quality and for budget. The main differences are the coating and it's thickness and the material out of which the ring is made... brass would be expensive, aluminium a little less with plastic being the least expensive. Ask at your local shop see what they have and perhaps they can guide you?

So, let me know what you think of the modified version of your image? The changes are quite subtle... much more and it will look very OTT.

Kind regards

Rolf

For me, two features of the image in post #1 that do not look quite right are:- the slight tilt of the tower, and the pale tones of the trees at the bottom. So, if it were mine, I would apply a very small clockwise rotation, and increase the contrast to give the whole image the look of a silhouette. Of course, starting with the full-size colour image, I might have processed it very differently. Smile

Cheers.
Philip

[quote='czkid' pid='100076' dateline='1425142604']
Hi Rolf, yes, I do see the changes, subtle though they are. My problem is I'm not technologically advanced with the camera and the different uses of the different menus, yet. I see that it will take a considerable (long) amount of time (that's why I ask for critique, because it all goes in my learning manual). I can't exactly tell you why I'm unhappy, just that it isn't doing what my visual brain wanted to see (inexperience). I know what I see when I see the shot, but, it doesn't always come out right like the pines one did. Yes, I like PaintShop, and, I like to play with the post processing....It's so cool. Ok, now, I have to go buy filters and remote release??? And, then learn them. You are right, get the shot right, and it doesn't take post processing. Well, some day when I've got all the equipment and stuff to do these right. As always, I really appreciate the time that you professionals take to teach me this art. I can only get better with your help. This is the "rest of my life" passion. Have a nice weekend......

Hi Czkid!
I'm glad you are inquisitive and want to learn PS etc... it's really a good way to learn and when you have it figured out, you got there by yourself and will always remember the steps...

I am not a pro anymore... hardly call me that after just a few years on a Hong Kong newspaper as a freelance snapper! Ed, on the other hand...

No, you don't have to get any more kit...but if you want sky features to stand out and the colours a bit deeper, and take the glare off water shots, apart from shooting RAW and doing a lot of Post... a polariser is the way to start getting those image enhancements. I say tripod... if you have a subject that is needing telephoto... and is not likely to get up and run away... the stability offered to the camera will get you sharper shots... usually only if you don't press the shutter by hand... so a cheap remote release is the way to go there. You don't need to spen a lot... have a look in consignments for tripods.. Some, like the Samsonite 1100 has a 3 way head and new is less than $25... but I suspect it will not be very stiff so may wobble in a breeze... or this from Adorama used... http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20694753.html.
Filters can also be gotten used... http://www.adorama.com/r/TF58CPL-reviews
As for the remote release... try this... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/58..._Cord.html

All of these are just ideas to get you looking and seeing stuff does not have to always be new... or expensive.

Photography is only as expensive as your will is strong... Smile

Have a great day

Kind regards

Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Another take, also could tight crop it and use as a Bookmark. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Thank you, Philip. As always, all comments are duly noted and filed for me to study and apply in the future. We never stop learning, do we?

(Feb 28, 2015, 12:18)MrB Wrote:  For me, two features of the image in post #1 that do not look quite right are:- the slight tilt of the tower, and the pale tones of the trees at the bottom. So, if it were mine, I would apply a very small clockwise rotation, and increase the contrast to give the whole image the look of a silhouette. Of course, starting with the full-size colour image, I might have processed it very differently. Smile

Cheers.
Philip

Very interesting! I like. Thanks.

(Feb 28, 2015, 14:15)EdMak Wrote:  Another take, also could tight crop it and use as a Bookmark. Ed.

Thanks Rolf, I guess I'm going out tomorrow and buy what I need to advance a little more.....As always, much appreciated. I do like the tower and think I'll go out and try some more shots on it.

(Feb 28, 2015, 13:58)Rolf Wrote:  [quote='czkid' pid='100076' dateline='1425142604']

Hi Czkid!
I'm glad you are inquisitive and want to learn PS etc... it's really a good way to learn and when you have it figured out, you got there by yourself and will always remember the steps...

I am not a pro anymore... hardly call me that after just a few years on a Hong Kong newspaper as a freelance snapper! Ed, on the other hand...

No, you don't have to get any more kit...but if you want sky features to stand out and the colours a bit deeper, and take the glare off water shots, apart from shooting RAW and doing a lot of Post... a polariser is the way to start getting those image enhancements. I say tripod... if you have a subject that is needing telephoto... and is not likely to get up and run away... the stability offered to the camera will get you sharper shots... usually only if you don't press the shutter by hand... so a cheap remote release is the way to go there. You don't need to spen a lot... have a look in consignments for tripods.. Some, like the Samsonite 1100 has a 3 way head and new is less than $25... but I suspect it will not be very stiff so may wobble in a breeze... or this from Adorama used... http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20694753.html.
Filters can also be gotten used... http://www.adorama.com/r/TF58CPL-reviews
As for the remote release... try this... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/58..._Cord.html

All of these are just ideas to get you looking and seeing stuff does not have to always be new... or expensive.

Photography is only as expensive as your will is strong... Smile

Have a great day

Kind regards

Rolf

[quote='czkid' pid='100124' dateline='1425255631']
Thanks Rolf, I guess I'm going out tomorrow and buy what I need to advance a little more.....As always, much appreciated. I do like the tower and think I'll go out and try some more shots on it.

Hi czkid, just one thing... the Circular Polariser is affected by orientation... so - if you have it at max effect in the horizontal it will have no effect if you turn the camera to which it is fitted into the vertical (portrait) plane. So, you need to remember to re-orientate the polariser for the orientation. Get the shop guys to explain with the filter if you get one. If they have a better tripod and it's within budget... get it That will be sort of future proofing for you if you get a DSLR at some point later on which will be heavierSmile A simple ball head should be all you need... but a decent.. not plastic one... don't let them get you to buy an expensive triaxial head... or fancy video heads...

Have a good evening

Kind regards

Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by MBS
Aug 14, 2020, 14:02
Last Post by MBS
Aug 14, 2020, 13:55
Last Post by MBS
Aug 14, 2020, 13:52