Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Kite Surfers and Pelicans

I was doing a bit of reading about some heritage buildings in my local area today.

Apart from finding out the story behind one of the buildings I was shooting a few weeks ago (see the story and photos at http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2500), I also discovered there was an old quarantine station in the area which had all sorts of interesting things attached to it including an old morgue!

So I decided to go down to Woodman's point again for another look.
Unfortunately (for me at least) it seems the quarantine station has been turned into a recreation camp for school kids. While it's great to see places like this recycled and continue to be used, it meant I couldn't just snoop around and take photos like I could with the other abandoned buildings.

But I noticed the sails from some kite surfers flying high above the trees, so I turned my attention to them and got some shots.

[Image: IMG_2095a.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2052.jpg]

[Image: KiteSurfing.jpg]

The effort of the guy in that last little series was quite spectacular, he did a somersault and a half, landing on his head as you can see in the last shot! (it looks better in high-res).

While I was in the area, I decided to go back to see if my old friends the pelicans were sitting on their poles. There were four pelicans at the jetty today, two sitting on the poles as usual and another two who wandered around between the beach and the jetty, waiting for locals to arrive and start an evening of fishing off the jetty.
The pair on the poles looked like they were settled in for the evening, and had their back to me so I didn't bother with them much, but the other two were being very cooperative models. Not only did they allow me to get nice and close to them but then kindly flew onto the light-pole when the sun started to set and a couple of fishermen arrived.

[Image: IMG_2139a.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2107.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2100.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2149.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2165a.jpg]

I have to stop taking photos of birds... but I can't help myself!
I've decided that birds, like sunsets are addictive and should contain health warnings.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

That second last one is nice, right place, right time, right equipment, right settings, how lucky can you get? Big Grin

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Kombi,

I like the shot of the gulls DOF is great..............except for the gull in the middle :/ chop it Big Grin

Pelicans on poles never get tired of em..... Big Grin

Another great series Kombi... I wish you'd break the posts into separate threads, because there are so many good ones in there! Big Grin

My favourites are the pelicans and gulls . The gulls especially, because of the unique perspective and DOF.

Well done, mate!

All these shots are great. I have to agree with Russ about the closer gull out of focus. Maybe clone it. I also noticed in the first image there looks to be some dirt on your sensor. All in all, they are exceptional images. Keep up the good work.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

This is a real documentary series. I was puzzled by the first image but when it became clear it was amazing.

--Don

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

All of them are great! I can't decide which one is my favorite...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Don't you just LOVE shooting kitesurfers?! I can't wait until I get my new camera and can take all of the shots I want...... more power!!! Big Grin

Anyway...another great place to go to get these guys is point walter, if you get them on the right day with the right winds, you can get pics of these guys (the sillier ones) jumping the sand spit...

just thought that you might like to know if you decided that you like taking pics of these guys...love your pictures Kombi...so you say I can find these birds down at woody's (I'm usually busy with a kite)

Might see you there sometime Smile

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Pete: ummm.. actually I was really *unlucky* with that shot. I saw the first pelican land on the light-post, and as I was walking to a spot to take the shot of it, the 2nd pelican flew in - I literally had to drop everything and grab the shot there and then. There was actually a 2nd light pole in the foreground (about 3m from where I was standing) going right through the middle of the frame! I had no choice - I had to take the shot and clone the pole out later. I got into the right position for the other shots though.

Russt and Colin: Yeah you're right about the centre gull. I have some other shots where that gull isn't there, but that one has the best DOF and angle. I'm worried if I get rid of that gull that it will lose the DOF effect, so maybe I should just move the gull to the bottom left corner a bit?

ST: Would you really prefer I split a series like this up? I just don't want to "pollute" the forums with a million posts of basically the same thing (especially when they are related as these shots are).. but if you'd prefer it that way.. then I'm happy to go with it.

Don: Yes I was very puzzled the first time I saw these kites flying high above the beach, as I was driving at the time and couldn't see the people surfing below them.
It has become quite popular here in Perth in the last few years though (and no doubt elsewhere too). The only problem is that the lines they use are so long it is very difficult to get both the surfer and the kite in the same shot without them being little specs in the water.

Irma: Thanks. Don't worry, you don't have to have a favourite Wink

Mez: I think I get frustrated shooting them. They only ever go out when it is really windy, so I didn't want to go too close to the water with all the sand and salt spray flying around. Plus the wind means the water is always going to be choppy and not very photogenic.. and finally their lines are so long it is almost impossible to get a good shot of a person and also include a kite in the shot.
But... I could imagine that if luck was on your side you could get some amazingly spectacular shots. I might have to check out point walter for them (I used to live in East Freo).. That would be cool with them going over the spit! I also used to see them between Leighton beach and Cottesloe in the late afternoon on my way home from work.
So do you indulge in this sport yourself? Or did you mean a more traditional kite (ie standing still on the ground)?
umm.. yeah they were at Woody's point... just where the Jervoise Bay (sp?) yacht club is, but on the south side of that point.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Kombi, I have my own kite and so does my husband...every time we move we try to try something new...kite surfing was it this time, and we both love it!! Smile I have actually found that if I can get someone in the gackground of my main subject it actually gets across what I'm trying to show. (Please excuse my pitiful example)...

[Image: jas%2001.jpg]

Can't find the one that I'm after...but I think that it shows what I'm trying to...I hope... Anyway...if you ever want to get out and about and find these guys, let me know and I can let you know where to expect them on what days.

Smile

Kombi - regarding the splitting - I think you definitely have two distinct series here: the kitesurfing, and then the birds. Up to you though... Big Grin

By the way, taking a look again at your photos... I realy like the 2nd last photo, of the bird flying away. It's awesome! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Eddy Canon
Sep 25, 2016, 03:18
Last Post by NT73
Apr 24, 2010, 12:48
Last Post by EnglishBob
Aug 8, 2009, 11:51