Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Reflections

Hello

I took these 3 photos with the aim of getting reflections. Your comments and critique are very welcome.
The first one was f9, 1/500 sec, ISO 100, 55mm focal
The second one - f9, 1/250 sec, ISO 100, 18mm focal
The last one was F5.6, 1/500 sec, ISO 3200, 55mm focal

Regards
Jane

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Jane, with a little bit of editing, your there. The top is the most promising. Good captures. Ed.

To each his own!

Hi Jane
like you only starting.
The top photo crop the sailing boat much tighter from both sides. Also crop down from the top. This will leave you with a much stronger image of the reflection of the boat in the water which is what you want us the viewer to look at.
Kind regards
Chris

Thank you for your comments Ed and Chris-6777. Is this better? I have cropped in and adjusted the contrast a bit.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Jane
I would crop more of the sky as it is not very interesting even to the point where you have some of the mask of the boat cropped. If you do keep the sky try and darken it a good bit as it is the brightest part of your photo. Try all these and get the photo until you are happy with it as it is for you to enjoy. Keep all of the reflection in the bottom of your photo as this is your point of interest. A tip on reflections they should not fold on themselves i.e the centre line of the photo, either above a little or below a little. Again you might try and darken the whole photo and see if you like that.Try these and see what you think. Hope this is of help to you.
P.S the position of the boat is now correct as it has somewhere to sail into i.e. your photo.
Kind regards
Chris

Jane, this is how I see it, bit more poke. Working from a small file size, far better from original. But, you were there, so it's what you want that counts. Cheers. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

(Nov 6, 2014, 15:35)chris-6777 Wrote:  Hi Jane
I would crop more of the sky as it is not very interesting even to the point where you have some of the mask of the boat cropped. If you do keep the sky try and darken it a good bit as it is the brightest part of your photo. Try all these and get the photo until you are happy with it as it is for you to enjoy. Keep all of the reflection in the bottom of your photo as this is your point of interest. A tip on reflections they should not fold on themselves i.e the centre line of the photo, either above a little or below a little. Again you might try and darken the whole photo and see if you like that.Try these and see what you think. Hope this is of help to you.
P.S the position of the boat is now correct as it has somewhere to sail into i.e. your photo.
Kind regards
Chris

Thank you for your suggestions Chris. I shall certainly try them out Smile
Kind regards
Jane

(Nov 6, 2014, 16:07)EdMak Wrote:  Jane, this is how I see it, bit more poke. Working from a small file size, far better from original. But, you were there, so it's what you want that counts. Cheers. Ed.

Thank you EdMak. What have you done to the sky? It is a great improvement and makes the water look better too. I am still getting to grips with my paintshop pro so only know the basics at the moment.

With regards
Jane

In Photoshop, let it adjust the blues, and contrast, then tweaked as I wanted to see it. About 5 mts. Working from a good start!! Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

Jane, your sailing boat image has become a very different photo from the one that you took at the time. I think your first photo needs a crop, but mainly to move the boat off centre.

For me, it seems that the shot you captured is about the reflections of the boat and its environment, rather than a portrait of a boat. Also, as a sailing boat needs the air, there nothing wrong with leaving plenty of space around it, as you did originally.

So, to retain the impression of your photo, a crop might be, e.g. -

[ Processed in PaintShop Pro X6 ]

Cheers.
Philip

(Nov 7, 2014, 03:33)MrB Wrote:  Jane, your sailing boat image has become a very different photo from the one that you took at the time. I think your first photo needs a crop, but mainly to move the boat off centre.

For me, it seems that the shot you captured is about the reflections of the boat and its environment, rather than a portrait of a boat. Also, as a sailing boat needs the air, there nothing wrong with leaving plenty of space around it, as you did originally.

So, to retain the impression of your photo, a crop might be, e.g. -

[ Processed in PaintShop Pro X6 ]

Cheers.
Philip

Thank you Philip. I agree that the boat was not the sole reason for the photo. It was a beautiful day in October (in England) and I was caught by all the reflections in the water. I see the improvement of not having the boat in the centre, much better. Thank you for your comments.

With regards
Jane

Jane, I thought I would chip in here to say that I particularly like the colours in this last version - they are very natural to my eye and in keeping with the tranquil nature of the scene. Rob

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Plantsman
May 6, 2015, 03:53
Last Post by EdMak
Jul 27, 2014, 03:45
Last Post by Vik
Jul 25, 2014, 17:24