Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rollei Telephoto Lens for iPhone 4

Like many others, I am super impressed by how the photographic capabilities of the iPhone have grown up, The iPhone 4 has HD video (720p) and a very usable 5 Mpx still camera plus in-camera HDR, visible autofocus indicator, and manual focus via touch screen. It is actually becoming a very usable tool for the photographer on the go.

Rollei is taking this a bit further by introducing a real telephoto lens for the iPhone 4. It is *fast* at F1.1 and the Rollei's 8x magnification effectively extends the iPhone's 29.4mm equivalent range to about 235mm. Manual focus ring and distance gauge are on the lens barrel. It looks like the lens attaches to the iPhone via the included "Rollei branded" hard case.

Its hard to know where a person would actually use such a thing, but it sure is fascinating to see how technology romps along. At about 35 euros including the hard case and a table-top tripod / mounting bracket, it isn't much of an investment if its any good at all...

[Image: Rollei_8x_Tele_Objektiv_Hardcase-317x400.jpg]

[Image: rollei_iphone.jpg]

More Information.

It is a pity that an actual photo was not shown, rather than the home screen.
But you are taking away the pocketable capabilities. An iPhone and a Panasonic with 12 X zoom would take up less space. And unless the lens unscrews from the holder/case then you are talking about a DSLR size nearly. Sad

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

All your concerns are true. Its an odd product from a respected manufacturer like Rollei to release with their name on it. Yes, the lens does unscrew from the case.

This is just one of a number of attachments that I have seen for the iPhone 4 to extend its photo capabilities. Most of those, including this one, I suspect, are really aimed at the video market, where the iPhone 4 really comes into its own. I would likely never carry a dedicated video camera, but I do carry an iPhone. From the right vantage point, this lens on its tripod attached to the i4 could likely produce a pretty respectable performance capture, and it looks like it would almost fit in a cigar tube.

Toad Wrote:Its an odd product from a respected manufacturer like Rollei to release with their name on it.
Not to split hairs, but it's an odd product for the Danish investment company Capitellum to release with the Rollei name on it.

Maybe they'll sell a few units, but the cynic in me thinks that the best way to get noticed these days is to announce a product with the words "iphone" or "tablet" in the press release.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post