Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Salton Sea, Tilpaia Die off.
Video 

The Salton Sea in California is a large salt lake stocked with millions of Tilapia. Each July/August the oxygen levels in the lake drop too low and millions of fish die off, they wash up on the beaches.

Great capture, nice light and really interesting backstory as well. Thanks for sharing!

Arresting photo.

I've heard only snippets about the Salton Sea, being fairly far removed from it myself, but reading the quick synopsis on wikipedia is fascinating: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salton_Sea

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Thanks for posting the link Matthew, very interesting reading.

I like the bit where the lake/sea was accidentally created by a flood which overwhelmed the headgates and dikes of the irrigation canals... fascinating.

The fish were in a strip around 8 feet wide and ran over 2 miles along the shore, and this was 3 months after the die off. It didn't smell pretty, can only imagine what it smelled like in August!

This gives more of a sense of the sheer numbers...

They have a fairly short lifespan anyway, but it is still sad to see so many.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Wow... I can just imagine that last shot being the set of an old Italian cannibal movie, a really gruesome sight if you're a fish. But then again if you're a fish you're not likely to be taking a walk on the beach anyway.

I immediately thought of this thread: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-...7164.story

"We now have solid evidence that clearly points to the Salton Sea as the source of a very large and unusual odor event," said Barry Wallerstein, executive officer of the South Coast Air Quality Management District.

But they're not blaming the fish…

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

That's pretty much the smell when i was there, hydrogen sulphide sums it up for me.

Wow - this is amazing and a wonderful capture of the scene. In our area we have suffered from so much drought, that the oxygen levels have been pretty low. You can see the bubbles rising up from the bottom of the rivers. It is an unusual scene in our area. Thanks for sharing your photos!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!