Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sarcodes AKA Snow Plant

Sarcodes is a monotypic genus of a single springtime flowering plant in the heath family (Ericaceae) containing the single species Sarcodes sanguinea, commonly called the snow plant or snow flower. It is a parasitic plant that derives sustenance and nutrients from mycorrhizal fungi that attach to roots of trees.

This one was taken in Kings Canyon National Park in May of this year.

Canon 7DII, 1/1600's, F/2.8, 150mm

(Jun 15, 2015, 23:48)EnglishBob Wrote:  Sarcodes is a monotypic genus of a single springtime flowering plant in the heath family (Ericaceae) containing the single species Sarcodes sanguinea, commonly called the snow plant or snow flower. It is a parasitic plant that derives sustenance and nutrients from mycorrhizal fungi that attach to roots of trees.

This one was taken in Kings Canyon National Park in May of this year.

Canon 7DII, 1/1600's, F/2.8, 150mm

That's a fine specimen Craig.

Photography is a never-ending journey

Excellent Craig. Ed.

To each his own!

Hi Craig - how did you take that shot? Gorilla pod or lying on the ground or similar? You seem to be at plant world level rather than looking down on it. I must say I find the plant fascinating and the image is lovely. Our local dentist has a sign board which reads 'everything has beauty' - looking at this picture, perhaps he's right! Regards, Jeff

I was laying in pine needles, camera just above the ground.

That is a perfect exposure of a beautiful looking plant, Craig. I know next to nothing about plants, but, I know a great shot when I see one. Smile

Regards.

Phil.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EnglishBob
Apr 1, 2019, 21:52