Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Scenic Overlook

Here is an original scenic view photo. I realize today it would be nice to have an additional zoom lens to zoom in even closer. You live, you learn.

Feel free to give any suggestions you have. It was cloudy today to some degree.

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Barbara, I like the composition of your photo, with the nearby trees framing the bridge left and right, and that would have been lost if you had used a more powerful zoom.

The issue is really the sky which has not been kind to you, giving an uninteresting, featureless bright area across the top quarter. There is something there, but it is not a simple edit to bring it out. It could be replaced by a different sky, as Ed has done here before. Or it could be excluded completely from the image by a 2:1 crop, retaining the framing by the foreground trees, but giving a more panoramic view of the land and water.

Just a few of my thoughts.

Cheers.
Philip

Thank you for the comments - all are taken to heart. I guess on the better zoom lens, I realized I missed some opportunities that day by being limited on what I could do.

I was concerned about having too much trees as a bordering, but now that I look at it again I see differently.

Thank you so much for your comments and suggestions! :0)

Bookmark for return visit, if not too far away, weather was a bit unkind. Scottish Sky!! Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Barbara, this is the sort of image format I was suggesting above - I quite like it, but what do you think?

Cheers.
Philip

(May 18, 2014, 11:09)EdMak Wrote:  Bookmark for return visit, if not too far away, weather was a bit unkind. Scottish Sky!! Ed.

Post deleted.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

Ok, I see how the crop brings the focus in on the actual bridge and keeps the sky from distracting the viewer.

Also the sky changes were very helpful. I see how they can also add to the photo.

Thanks for all the suggestions to each of you!

(May 18, 2014, 06:39)MrB Wrote:  ...The issue is really the sky which has not been kind to you, giving an uninteresting, featureless bright area across the top quarter. There is something there, but it is not a simple edit to bring it out...

A bit of spare time before the evening meal, so this image shows the sky that the camera recorded in the image data, revealed by processing the image in PaintShop Pro:

Cheers.
Philip

Very cool shot! Great job!

Thanks Jeff! I have had very little time to play around with my new camera. I went to the area to take photos for another project I am working on, so of course I had to take a few to add here in the forums!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Phil J
Jun 10, 2014, 18:40