Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Shapes of the Outback

I'm off on my next little adventure across the country for a while. I'm heading to Tasmania for Christmas with my family, but detouring via a few places I've always wanted to visit.

Here are some interesting shapes I picked out of the Western Australian Landscape...

[Image: i-PXwpsxj-L.jpg]

[Image: i-Vgnt2tZ-L.jpg]

And three more from the Northern Territory... Some people may know this place.

[Image: i-d2vND3c-L.jpg]

[Image: i-D3zp3KW-L.jpg]

[Image: i-kCHM5s3-L.jpg]

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

The 3 cliff faces are very powerful, Kombi. Great series.

Not sure what I am seeing in the first 2. Are these photos from the air by any chance?

Thanks.
The b/w shots are a taste of a larger series. I seem to be having trouble uploading to smugmug at the moment (via a tethered wifi iphone) so the others will have to wait.

You're correct that the first two are aerial shots, taken above a very remote part of central Western Australia, not far from the southern part of the Northern Territory border. Confused? Well, just think of the very centre of Australia. If you look closely at #2 you can just make out two intersecting dirt roads.

But I left the Northern Territory outback yesterday and arrived in Cairns in far north Queensland last night. I'm heading out to go diving on the Great Barrier Reef tomorrow. I can't guarantee good photos, but I bet I'll have a great day!

Adrian Broughton

The aerial photos are great – they have the quality of shape and scale that could have also been taken with a microscope.

Kombisaurus Wrote:… central Western Australia, not far from the southern part of the Northern Territory border …
I love geographic descriptions from Australians. I once found the website for my parent's home town, which describes it as being in north-central South Australia – but I suspect that it's actually south of that. Big Grin

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Great series. I really like the areal photos to introduce it. You need a slide show documentary.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

What I do find interesting is the fact there is no sense of scale in any of these, no sense of relative size.
I think this is very effective in allowing the viewer to be free to "get textural": I note that the question about aerial shots had to be asked...they could well have been(as I thought they were) ripples on a beach or after a desert rain. Similarly, the rest could be huge hillsides or tiny cobbles in macro. I think it's a very considerate photographer indeed who can remove him/herself from the idea of "making" the viewer perceive or feel ...much more successful "Art" as such.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Thanks guys.
Zig, you're right about my deliberately avoiding any kind of reference points in all the images.
I've finally had a chance to upload some more images... so here is the post that shows where the b/w photos came from.

Adrian Broughton

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by guerito
Mar 13, 2006, 06:18