Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Shooting the moon

I don't know whether to put this in technique or into the showcase as I'll showcase them later if they turn out alright Smile
I'll be attempting (again) tonight to shoot the moon over the river... Again, I did not bring my tripod (don't want to carry it all around uni! hur hur hur!)

Sun sets at 5:59pm, and according to the website
MATILDA BAY Lat=-31°58'00" Long=+115°49'00"
TIMES OF MOONRISE AND MOONSET
(for ideal horizon & meteorological conditions)
Time zone: +8.00 hours
30/08/2004 Rise: 1813 Set: 0651

So I'll be there waiting for the rise Wink

I'm still waiting for Peter to reply my sms, he's got two phone numbers - !!!! so I only sent it to one, anyway, i think he's gone home by now
I'm just waiting for time to go by now...
or maybe I should be finishing assignment, or surveying the area...

I hope its big tonight Wink

See you later Smile

Wow nice timing for the moonrise, it should be huge! So wheres my invite huh Adam? Can't wait to see your results.

I'm loading the pictures while eating my dinner here at the dinner table.
The results were rather disappointing - the moon wasn't extremely close as I've seen if before (and expected/wished it to be)
And also... being tripodless, it was difficult to take photographs at the lower shutter speeds and not get blur from shake - though I did try resting it on certain things Tongue
I experimented a bit, taking a few shots of the same thing with different settings to see how it would turn out,
I was there, waiting for the moon to come up, looking at the direction where I usually see it rise... then I saw it wasn't there, looked a little bit right, and there it was - it was yellow!
Yellow like in scarey-cartoons, and then, the thing streams of clouds started passing over this yellow full moon! It was very much like a cartoon when they want to portray something haunted!
So I was there, trying to shoot the moon, many times it came out overexposed, as a bright light in the sky, then I tried underexposing it a bit.
Well, the pictures are finished loading and I've almost finished eating.

I hope to learn from this experience, any tips/comments/help/criticism will be appreciated (once I post some pictures of course!!!!!) or you could comment and things now, how to take the moon Tongue hehe

and mosquitos were attacking me!

I'm sure Peter might post some lovelies Smile
I would also have liked to zoom zoom zoom into the moon, but... my lens can't do that Tongue

Any to post, adam?

Over here in Melbourne, the moon was nowhere to be seen! Sad

Full cloud cover as it was raining the whole day...

Here's one to start it off while I put borders on the others Tongue
[Image: Night_Perth_SwanRiver_small.jpg]
It's actually two images stitched together Smile

I've already had one comment that it was underexposed, and can't see details, so I'm going to try it again, a bit brighter

So here it is, a tiny tiny bit brighter.
[Image: Night_Perth_SwanRiver_brighter_small.jpg]

I merged this post with the one above, so ignore this - or delete if you can

Hey that ain't no moon... nice shot though! I love nightscapes, especially over water. Buildings seem a bit soft...

I wanted to include the moon in the panorama, but it's far on the left and I couldn't pan any more - the pole I was resting it on was uneven Tongue

Yes, the buildings seem a little soft - I didn't notice that on the LCD preview.

I think the softness may be from resizing it quite small?
Cropped out a section, and resized (so it'll fit here Tongue) to judge..
[Image: Night_Perth_SwanRiver_small_section.jpg]

Or could blame my manual-focussing.
I'm not too good at that, I must practice Smile

Anyway, continuing on...
After selecting a few pictures from tonight, and deleting many, I've found that most the pictures I think are okay are moon-less! and I set out to shoot the moon! haha
and the one where I think I captured the yellowness of the moon - wasn't straight and I moved a bit, so... the moon is not round Tongue
Here's some from tonight Smile
[Image: PeterBui.jpg]
I took this before leaving uni.

[Image: Perth001.jpg]
Perth Smile

[Image: jetty.jpg]
Jetty (and the moon behind!)

[Image: Perth002.jpg]
Perth again!

[Image: jetty2.jpg]
Jetty again

[Image: scareymoon.jpg]
The scarey moon.

I look forward to getting feedback - want to learn to take better pictures.

Moon n Clouds
[Image: 1.jpg]
Full Crop Of just the moon ..
I accidentally Stuffed up the quality of the image ...
Might get another copy of it up later ...
[Image: 2.jpg]

i really need a new tripod .. ~_~

Hope it's ok to post this.....if not, just let me know!! Smile

Adam....your pictures are gorgeous! Can't decide yet which are my favs but I think the ones labeled 'Perth again' & 'Jetty again' are in the running. My opinion is that on the 'Jetty & moon behind' picture if you had turned a just a bit more to the right so that the moon was just a little more towards the center of the picture (but not centered completely) this would have been an even more awesome shot than it already is!

Would love to hear feedback on my opinion!!

Again, great pics, Adam!

Lisa Wink

Yes, I'm an Amateur &
I Work Hard for that Title
Wink

Nice shots adam... thanks for posting them up! I'm so jealous that your side of the world got the moon last night Big Grin

I like #2 and #3 - love the almost blue twilight colour cast... you don't get that often. Nice job on the framing too Big Grin

I hope there's a moon tonight... Rolleyes

Adam, I hope you'll forgive my tinkering, and see how you feel about this:

[Image: scareymoon2.jpg]

Cave canem

adam Wrote:So I was there, trying to shoot the moon, many times it came out overexposed, as a bright light in the sky, then I tried underexposing it a bit.

Hey I was just thinking, perhaps spot metering (measure off the moon) might help... or would it?

I've got to try it out tonight... Big Grin

I love that #2 shot, could you get around to the right a bit further and take out less of Kings Park? Is that taken from the Yacht Club area Adam? I'm supposed to be doing a wedding there in April, might give me some ideas for twilight shots if I have any energy left by then.

Thankyou everyone for your feedback, comments, suggestions Smile
Each has been read and accepted Smile

I might try again tonight even though the moon may not be full and yellow. but the city will still be there, maybe I will try, using what I've learnt here (from you all!!) and from last night.
Rufus, thanks for the tinkering Smile
The tighter crop around the bottom is nice, getting rid of all that black space.
And the colours, also nice Big Grin

StudioJ: so I pan a bit more to the right and get less of Kings Park? Visualising how it'll be, sounds like a good idea Big Grin it'll put perth city onto the line of the left third and will look nice, I'll try and see.
Yes, that was from the yatch club area, but a little further down, I forgot the exact location but it's near where the eating-place is. Because I remember leaning my camera on the "danger" sign for the jetty and also on the limestone walls there (scratching the bottom of my camera Sad)

Thanks once again for the feedback Smile

So how did you go, adam? Or were you too busy shooting stuff for the scavenger hunt?

I tried last night... cloud cover was partial, but just enough to hide the moon... couldn't find it anywhere! Sad

Nice shots adam!! I particularly like the shot of the jetty, with the moon reflecting of the surface of the water. It has a realli calm, soothing feel to it. Smile

Last night... uhr!
I went down there, started shooting a little bit before it became blue, saw another person taking photos a little further down - where I was taking photos the day before, but I didn't dare approach/disturb him.
Then after about 5 pictures, I realised that... my mobile phone wasn't in my pocket, so I panicked, and ran back to the lab, to find it wasnt there, then checked my bag and there it was...
so I decided to go home.

I'll post them soon, but maybe not tonight.

Hey how come you didn't say hello to me last night down there Adam?

Just kidding Wink

I was looking to see if he had hair, and if I could rub his head, but he had hair... I think!

Okay;
Tomorrow is full moon again;
I'll be at uni, then go and have another go at taking a photograph with the moon in it Smile
This time I'll bring my new toy (tripod) hehe.
But I'll have to leave it in the car; otherwise I'll bring it into the library with me.... haha

Hope to improve on the images above, which i tried last time,
Looking at them now, they seem very very dark.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Aug 25, 2015, 23:40
Last Post by Jeffbridge
Apr 30, 2015, 22:52
Last Post by czkid
Apr 1, 2015, 18:28