Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Shooting the moon

Adam, these shots are fantastic. I really like #2 and 3. These would be on my wall without a second thought. I have a small pick and I hope you don't mind me saying so. The horizons. In most shots they seem a touch off. Also it's a small same about the blurriness of the boat on the left side of #2. Don't let this take away from the quality of your shots. They are beautiful. Smile

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Hey Adam,

I just read this post and went outside to see what the moon was like right now.. and the whole sky is covered by cloud Sad

Let's hope tomorrow night is clear!

Your last images might be a little dark, but they still work really nicely. Often I think "less is more" and leaving some mistique with an area of darkness can be really effective. I don't see the amount of darkness as being any kind of fault in your images. It just depends on what you want out of them.
Did you take them as raw's or jpgs? Obviously a raw will give you a much better ability to pull detail out of the shadows in post if you wanted to.
I particularly think "Jetty again" could look fantastic if you could pull a bit more detail out of the water surrounding those reflections Smile

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

I actually remembered to go and take a photo of the full moon last night in the wee hours (about 4:30am.. don't ask).

The moon was fairly high in the sky and there was nothing around interesting to include in the photo, so I just zoomed in as close as I could and tried to capture as much detail in the moon. I also tried a couple of infra-red shots, and although I was suprised that I could get decent exposures and semi-decent shutter speeds (4sec), I couldn't get anything remotely sharp.. Caused by either the focus shift with IR, the difficulty in focusing on the moon in complete darkness through an IR filter, or the fact that even in 4 sec the moon will actually shift a little bit.

Anyway, this is a full crop of the best non-IR shot (contrast-enhanced). It is still a bit soft, but looks nice and sharp (but small) at 50%.

[Image: FullMoon.jpg]

Lens: EF 70-200 f/4L USM @200mm with Olympus TC17 1.7x teleconverter.
Aperture: f/11, Shutter 1/100, ISO: 100

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

whoaa!! thats quite clear!!

Once again, it's that time of month again.... full moon... haha Smile
But the forecast isn't so nice, I just hope it doesn't rain, and the clouds! mm! I'm ready to play Smile

Disappointed, not only was it cloudier than ever, but when the small moon did finally show, it started drizzling, so I tried photographing while holding an umbrella.
I'll put the pictures in another post Smile

Great shot Kombisaurus, i have such a hard time with moon.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Aug 25, 2015, 23:40
Last Post by Jeffbridge
Apr 30, 2015, 22:52
Last Post by czkid
Apr 1, 2015, 18:28