Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Shopping for new camera... . Any thoughts?

(Aug 28, 2015, 09:19)brother david Wrote:  
(Aug 28, 2015, 08:56)EnglishBob Wrote:  I am very happy with Canon DSLR's. I was using an older Canon Rebel until January of this year, the Xti, still takes great pictures. The advantage of a newer Digital Rebel (T series) is that they are better in lower light, have more megapixels and also shoot video.

Most of my gear has been purchased through B&H Photo or more recently a little at Amazon. If you need to purchase locally, Best Buy now price match B&H.

Yeah right. I have been intensely interested in this for the last couple of days, and feel like I have made at least some progress toward clarity in the direction I should go. I have been away from photography for the years since my magnaminous divorce from Madam Gazonga... . I really don't have much current knowledge about what is going on now, but there was once a day when I at least fully conceptually understood how to operate a manual 35mm camera, and I loved taking the pictures that I did. (That was the 'head fake' - next came Einen Shitrum...).

If I order the adapters from the link you sent me can I use them with the Canon camera I have now, (film though it may even still yet be), and also with a newer later model of Canon digital camera to be found, and purchased now, or at least very soon? Right? Right? Right? Right!

I think that I am on track to a positive goal direction with that idea, and the new outfit may possibly be found to include at least one auto focus lens unless I just find a camera body only, and buy that... .

Thanks for sending. Gotta go. Back later... .
david

Have a further question for you 'ole buddy: If I were to go into the market to buy a new/barely used Canon T series DSLR camera on line where the selection can be optimized to get the latest features to include excellent resolution, and the ability to shoot video, and do other stuff that I am not able to do now which camera should I buy? Or to re-phrase it - which camera would you buy if you were me, and spending your own money instead of somebody else's? Right?

Here's why: For fifty bucks I can the adapters necessary to shoot at least some manually directed photographs on film using the equipment I have right now. So how I can I move from there to make the transition to digital photography, because that is where I really need to be because of the many advantages of convenience I see with digital photography. I shoot a lot of images, and then ferret through them, and keep a few... .

Thanks again. Gotta go! Back later.
david

(Aug 28, 2015, 10:13)brother david Wrote:  
(Aug 28, 2015, 08:56)EnglishBob Wrote:  I am very happy with Canon DSLR's. I was using an older Canon Rebel until January of this year, the Xti, still takes great pictures. The advantage of a newer Digital Rebel (T series) is that they are better in lower light, have more megapixels and also shoot video.

Most of my gear has been purchased through B&H Photo or more recently a little at Amazon. If you need to purchase locally, Best Buy now price match B&H.

Yeah right. I have been intensely interested in this for the last couple of days, and feel like I have made at least some progress toward clarity in the direction I should go. I have been away from photography for the years since my magnaminous divorce from Madam Gazonga... . I really don't have much current knowledge about what is going on now, but there was once a day when I at least fully conceptually understood how to operate a manual 35mm camera, and I loved taking the pictures that I did. (That was the 'head fake' - next came Einen Shitrum...).

If I order the adapters from the link you sent me can I use them with the Canon camera I have now, (film though it may even still yet be), and also with a newer later model of Canon digital camera to be found, and purchased now, or at least very soon? Right? Right? Right? Right!

I think that I am on track to a positive goal direction with that idea, and the new outfit may possibly be found to include at least one auto focus lens unless I just find a camera body only, and buy that... .

david

Have a further question for you 'ole buddy: If I were to go into the market to buy a new/barely used Canon T series DSLR camera on line where the selection can be optimized to get the latest features to include excellent resolution, and the ability to shoot video, and do other stuff that I am not able to do now which camera should I buy? Or to re-phrase it - which camera would you buy if you were me, and spending your own money instead of somebody else's? Right?

Here's why: For fifty bucks I can the adapters necessary to shoot at least some manually directed photographs on film using the equipment I have right now. So how I can I move from there to make the transition to digital photography, because that is where I really need to be because of the many advantages of convenience I see with digital photography. I shoot a lot of images, and then ferret through them, and keep a few... .

david
Hey 'ole buddy... . Found a Canon T5 1200D 18 MP EF-S body Video Digital SLR camera, (body only) on Amazon for $329.00 new... .

Looking for a Canon, but otherwise still open: wondering if it would be possibly wise and advantageous for me to also consider a full frame camera similar to some of those that you are using for this camera/lens quality upgrade I am working on... . (I already have a Rebel - but it uses film...).

Found a Canon EF 50 f1:4 USM lens at B&H for $349.00 new... .

Borrowed my buddy's David Busch's 2011 edition on the Canon EOS Rebel T2i550D which I think is what he may in fact also have. Brushing up on the new lens mounts, and lens technology upgrades being done now since I was around photography myself. A lot of people have paid a lot of money in recent years to buy things that are even better, and less expensive now... . It makes sense to me to see if I can buy quality at a discount, possibly even used since Canon is so popular there is likely even newer used equipment around... .

Also looking for an additional, or alternative USM zoom lens to consider using as the primary lens for the proposed new camera. Mr. Busch recommends this as a first lens... . Really makes sense too. Your own recommendations are valued here... .

Maybe I can find a guy who was afflicted by a very, very severe case of "Lens Lust", and who is basically up to his ass in alligators with his wife because he also has "Canon Fever" (loaded with great cameras he doesn't use much anymore...), and she is interested in seeing some free cash flow, (which is money that women can spend...), and in his infinite wisdom the guy decides to sell me some super good deals for cash... . (I lead a "lawyer free life now...). Right!

Would emphasize that I am open, no decisions have been made, and want to try to optimize the camera body selection the best I can. The decision to buy a Canon brand DSLR is basically made however... . Here's why: based on my studies of cameras, and lens mounting systems so far it is not only a safe bet - it's pretty close to a no brainer... . Right! Exactly.

Have a nice weekend. Gotta go! Back later. Thanks again 'ole buddy... .
david

Not really in agreement here regarding the no brainer bit, if I read i correctly.
Other cameras will perform as well as the Canon, to me. Most of the pics I have posted here were taken with a Minolta Maxxum, 6M pixels, and 40+ year old, Tamron, 28/200mm, made for 35mm camera.
I did change to a Sony a290, 14m pixels, and a Digital 18/200mm Tamron, the original lost it's auto focus capability.
Comparing results, the law of diminishing returns, is evident!!! Ed.

To each his own!

(Aug 30, 2015, 06:33)EdMak Wrote:  Not really in agreement here regarding the no brainer bit, if I read i correctly.
Other cameras will perform as well as the Canon, to me. Most of the pics I have posted here were taken with a Minolta Maxxum, 6M pixels, and 40+ year old, Tamron, 28/200mm, made for 35mm camera.
I did change to a Sony a290, 14m pixels, and a Digital 18/200mm Tamron, the original lost it's auto focus capability.

Ah yes! The law of diminishing returns... . Thank you so much for your reply, and especially sharing your own experience. You're right it is a not exactly a no brainer, and that is why I am seeking some guidance since the decision is important for many reasons. Reading some of the earlier posts of some of the others who were also needing to replace a camera has helped me to realize that once they have an big investment in a lot of "glass", (and likely learning experience with their particular camera(s)...), it is more expedient for them to stay with the program, and buy the same brand again. With my situation that is not really so much the case, since while I truly value my equipment, and plan to continue to use it some basis going forward, it is not the most significant determining factor concerning my decision. I am 100% open to buying a Sony, or other camera that I could do a direct mount of present lens systems without use of adapters, and I would be very, very pleased to do so - especially if I can do it within my means... .

Here's why: All I really hope to accomplish here is begin to take better pictures that I can not take now preferably using most of my own stuff, and continue making the transition to digital photography the best I can. Since I am still learning about these new lens mount systems I need to be sure that the lens I want to use will also be compatible with any Sony camera I can find also... . Because my lenses are all manually operated anyway, they can not auto focus on any camera... .

Having read a little in David Busch's camera book I am learning that it is a good plan to be thinking in terms of a camera with a primary lens. For me the camera can be new, nice and clean... . And the primary lens could possibly be one new, or at least modern technology auto focus lens, and I would basically be set... . Because I already have a Minolta f1:8, which is the primary lens for my old camera, and a wide angle adjustable lens which has proven itself to be an extremely versatile device, and a brand new zoom telephoto lens, (which I never really even got to use much before the camera broke...), and because I often find myself working in dim light conditions it occurred to me that I could purchase a new auto focus lens like the f1:4 Canon lens I found on line, and I would be back in business with a remarkably complete outfit shooting digital pictures finally... . A Sony camera solution would be a very good answer for me because I can use all of my present lenses without adapters... . (The adapter issue is one that I have not fully solved with respect to use with Canon cameras, and realized that it would present a possible difficulty changing lens - still learning about that - and that I would be happier using at least one new modern auto focus lens made for the camera so I could at least use the thing without adaptation devices at least sometimes... . It is not clear to me, but it appears that I would either need to have an adapter for each lens, or I would need to take an adapter on/off the camera itself to use different kinds of lenses, and it either case it is not exactly an optimal solution since the adapters cost about fifty bucks each, or you have monkey around putting one on the camera when you're busy trying to take pictures maybe...). Right?

Thank you so much for your reply. Will keep an eye open for some of the other alternative solutions that are out there. I always liked my old camera, and would be happy enough to have another one like it. It seems to make sense for me to buy a new, or at least newer camera that does have the new technology that can be helpful with resolution, clarity, and works especially well in lower light conditions since that often seems to be where I find myself trying to make a shot somewhere.

Thank you again Ed.

Kindest regards,
david

It's an interesting situation. People are down sizing now, (doing it myself as well), and I am now in receipt of a new modern Canon Rebel (film) camera, a Sony Digital Mavica 1.3 MP digital still camera, and a like new JVC VHS (circa 1998) movie camera that is apparently an analog device with digital processing technologies built inside in part... . These devices are all in new, virtually unused condition, and are still functionally useful even though outdated in technology. All of them were the latest/greatest in their day, and very expensive for the original purchasers... . Making the transition to digital camera decisions relevant for today please:

Would it be better to simply adapt my older technology lenses to use with the older technology film camera for only occasional use, and just basically start off fresh with the continued transition I am making to digital photography? Because I am ,still just learning about digital cameras it is worth doing my homework first. So far I have learned that these digital sensors can get dirty, be somewhat difficult to clean, and would likely be worth paying what ever it costs to buy a new camera with a clean element, and also very likely also be worth the cost in terms of user satisfaction, and improved results to purchase one new modern technology lens that is intended to be used as primary. So I am basically open with the idea. If I can find a Sony camera that can use my present lenses with out adaption that is able to meet the criteria of improved resolution, clarity, possible image stabilization technologies, and good performance in low light situations then that could be the best thing for me to do, and I would be happy to finally buy the f1:4 lens I have wanted all my life... .

If it proves to be the case that I should migrate to a different camera platform then it would seem to also make sense to purchase a new technology auto focus zoom type lens with it that will make possible to successfully use the thing to take at least some of the pictures I can't take now. I really am open with regard to the matter concerning camera body choice except to say that I want to do the best I can do get something that is truly worthwhile to use. A high priced solution with a lot of high end specifications in a new camera line may not produce any appreciably better outcomes for the kind of stuff I do than something else might. As in health care, a high cost solution may not yield any better results than a less expensive one. Having said that, you basically get what you pay for, and I am willing to pay a little more to get a better solution that will work for a long time, rather that try to sub optimize with a quick fix, and end up wishing I had just done what it takes to fix the problem right in the first place... .

Will be keeping an eye peeled for your further inputs... . Thanks again.
david

(Aug 30, 2015, 07:59)brother david Wrote:  
(Aug 30, 2015, 06:33)EdMak Wrote:  Not really in agreement here regarding the no brainer bit, if I read i correctly.

Ah yes! The law of diminishing returns... . Thank you so much for your reply, and especially sharing your own experience. You're right it is a not exactly a no brainer, and that is why I am seeking some guidance since the decision is important for many reasons. Reading some of the earlier posts of some of the others who were also needing to replace a camera has helped me to realize that once they have an big investment in a lot of "glass", (and likely learning experience with their particular camera(s)...), it is more expedient for them to stay with the program, and buy the same brand again. With my situation that is not really so much the case, since while I truly value my equipment, and plan to continue to use it some basis going forward, it is not the most significant determining factor concerning my decision. I am 100% open to buying a Sony, or other camera that I could do a direct mount of present lens systems without use of adapters, and I would be very, very pleased to do so - especially if I can do it within my means... .

Here's why: All I really hope to accomplish here is begin to take better pictures that I can not take now preferably using most of my own stuff, and continue making the transition to digital photography the best I can. Since I am still learning about these new lens mount systems I need to be sure that the lens I want to use will also be compatible with any Sony camera I can find also... . Because my lenses are all manually operated anyway, they can not auto focus on any camera... .

Having read a little in David Busch's camera book I am learning that it is a good plan to be thinking in terms of a camera with a primary lens. For me the camera can be new, nice and clean... . And the primary lens could possibly be one new, or at least modern technology auto focus lens, and I would basically be set... . Because I already have a Minolta f1:8, which is the primary lens for my old camera, and a wide angle adjustable lens which has proven itself to be an extremely versatile device, and a brand new zoom telephoto lens, (which I never really even got to use much before the camera broke...), and because I often find myself working in dim light conditions it occurred to me that I could purchase a new auto focus lens like the f1:4 Canon lens I found on line, and I would be back in business with a remarkably complete outfit shooting digital pictures finally... . A Sony camera solution would be a very good answer for me because I can use all of my present lenses without adapters... . (The adapter issue is one that I have not fully solved with respect to use with Canon cameras, and realized that it would present a possible difficulty changing lens - still learning about that - and that I would be happier using at least one new modern auto focus lens made for the camera so I could at least use the thing without adaptation devices at least sometimes... . It is not clear to me, but it appears that I would either need to have an adapter for each lens, or I would need to take an adapter on/off the camera itself to use different kinds of lenses, and it either case it is not exactly an optimal solution since the adapters cost about fifty bucks each, or you have monkey around putting one on the camera when you're busy trying to take pictures maybe...). Right?

Thank you so much for your reply. Will keep an eye open for some of the other alternative solutions that are out there. I always liked my old camera, and would be happy enough to have another one like it. It seems to make sense for me to buy a new, or at least newer camera that does have the new technology that can be helpful with resolution, clarity, and works especially well in lower light conditions since that often seems to be where I find myself trying to make a shot somewhere.

Thank you again Ed.

Kindest regards,
david

Hey 'ole buddy! Have a further question for ya'... . Are there lens adapters available for my present old Minolta mount lenses on the new E Mounts that are currently offered on the new Sony camera lines I am beginning to see offered for sale with on line vendors. Still wondering about the difference between their new mirror less system, and other dslr cameras, and what advantages if may also offer the user. As I sit at my desk I see rolls of old undeveloped film, and I can really see why digital photography is so popular. I would probably be happy to totally abandon film photography at this point if I can begin to further transition to digital. Really do like it so far. We have Switchfoot coming to our local Life Light concert next week end, and it currently looks like I will shoot it with my Samsung cell phone camera as well as I can... . Incidently, you will be pleased to know that is a very, very good camera, and I recommend both the Note 4 Edge phone that I have, and the camera it contains to anyone who needs one or the other. I like the Edge personally... .
Thanks again,
david

(Aug 29, 2015, 07:56)brother david Wrote:  
(Aug 28, 2015, 10:13)brother david Wrote:  

david

david
Hey 'ole buddy... . Found a Canon T5 1200D 18 MP EF-S body Video Digital SLR camera, (body only) on Amazon for $329.00 new... .

Looking for a Canon, but otherwise still open: wondering if it would be possibly wise and advantageous for me to also consider a full frame camera similar to some of those that you are using for this camera/lens quality upgrade I am working on... . (I already have a Rebel - but it uses film...).

Found a Canon EF 50 f1:4 USM lens at B&H for $349.00 new... .

Borrowed my buddy's David Busch's 2011 edition on the Canon EOS Rebel T2i550D which I think is what he may in fact also have. Brushing up on the new lens mounts, and lens technology upgrades being done now since I was around photography myself. A lot of people have paid a lot of money in recent years to buy things that are even better, and less expensive now... . It makes sense to me to see if I can buy quality at a discount, possibly even used since Canon is so popular there is likely even newer used equipment around... .

Also looking for an additional, or alternative USM zoom lens to consider using as the primary lens for the proposed new camera. Mr. Busch recommends this as a first lens... . Really makes sense too. Your own recommendations are valued here... .

Maybe I can find a guy who was afflicted by a very, very severe case of "Lens Lust", and who is basically up to his ass in alligators with his wife because he also has "Canon Fever" (loaded with great cameras he doesn't use much anymore...), and she is interested in seeing some free cash flow, (which is money that women can spend...), and in his infinite wisdom the guy decides to sell me some super good deals for cash... . (I lead a "lawyer free life now...). Right!

Would emphasize that I am open, no decisions have been made, and want to try to optimize the camera body selection the best I can. The decision to buy a Canon brand DSLR is basically made however... . Here's why: based on my studies of cameras, and lens mounting systems so far it is not only a safe bet - it's pretty close to a no brainer... . Right! Exactly.

Have a nice weekend. Gotta go! Back later. Thanks again 'ole buddy... .
david

Hey 'ole buddy... . Found a Canon EOS 7D with a EF 28 - 135 mm f3.5 - 5.6 IS USM lens on line at B&H for $949.00. It's on sale now, but the offer ends today.

Have not been around long enough to know if this is a one off deal, or they promote based on price discounts often... .

From what I have been able to learn, this is probably a pretty good camera body, all most as good a full frame sensor. One reviewer advised he liked another more expensive lens a lot better. Right we all would man... .

This may be an improvement over the Canon Rebel T series cameras that I have also studied. You have seen them all, and used both really in that you are currently using a successor model to the 7D now... . Do you think that this is possibly one of the best camera/lens combinations that I can buy for money?

It's more than I expected to spend initially, and I think I could be happy with a less expensive consumer package if you didn't really agree it is worth the extra money. These products are both new from the vendor, so there shouldn't be an condition risk present here.

This decision, if we make it is a big, big step for me in digital photography: a quantum move up for me personally. (my present Canon Rebel film camera can be adapted to use the older lenses I have now, and I can use them there on occassion). This is basically ripping the top off a new keg of nails and starting over using some new stuff... .

So whadaya think guys? Keepin' an eye peeled for ya'... . Thanks so much!
david

Hey 'ole buddies - You may be pleased to know I just ordered the Canon 7D with a factory zoom lens to further get my feet wet in digital photography. Hopin' I might get it soon enough for the music festival this week end... .

It sorta came down to buyin' a Sony A7 with an adapter, and maybe a lens for mo' money, and gettin' me a full frame outfit in a small case, and gettin' the best camera I could find fo' less dough, and they let the bo' have a new zoom lense fo' another hundred and fifty skinny little dollars, and so I stepped up an made a big league athletic move, and did the best quality upgrade I felt I could.

Because of the kinda stuff I like to do I think I'll be happy with the size, and the apparent durability of the case... . I'm still just getting started with photography again now, and I feel especially grateful to be able to get such a nice device to continue to work with. The inputs that I have received from my on line friends, and sharing your experience(s), and reading some of the earlier postings, and seeing some of your own photo work is especially helpful to "Nicky New Guy" like me just beginning to enjoy doing photography again. So thanks guys... .

Realize all of you are busy, but I'll be keepin' an eye peeled fo' ya' so stay in touch wit mea the best yo' can... . Thanks again mates!

Kindest regards,
brother david

You should be very happy with it, 7D is a great camera.

(Aug 31, 2015, 17:30)EnglishBob Wrote:  You should be very happy with it, 7D is a great camera.

Thanks for taking to post. Was wondering if I was crazy for spending close to a thousand bucks on a new device... . I practiced Remaining Calm about as long as I could, and it finally became clear that this is the right course of action for me at the present time. Have been able to understand just how much more you can get out of a lens with a full frame device, and I am very impressed with the Sony A7 as well.

As I grow into the digital program, and they get some of their stuff worked out with that device possibly that could be an upgrade path for me personally. They are not that expensive depending on which one you get, and where... .

One of the other things that seemed to help me understand what I should do was to read the questions/answers posted on the various camera model pages, and the user reviews. I found the negative ones to be the most valuable to help to know what the device could be doing a little better based on real world user experiences. I read a lot of very good words from a lot of Canon 7D users, and realized they had updated the firmware, and that the user experiences were positive enough that a lot of them were buying another 7D as a second camera to their first 7D... . Also the compact size, and what is reported to be a pretty solid magnesium case is pretty rugged, and helps keep the dirt out... . I go to ski hills, music concerts, hunting, fishing trips, and the beach among other places outside in various weather conditions, and needed to think long, and hard about size, and where it is going to be used... .

All of you know about where I am starting as a new digital photographer, and if you have any further suggestions concerning using lenses and other stuff I would be appreciative of your help. Thanks again for your time, and posting your replies... .

Kindest regards,
david

Well the great thing about learning with a digital...no film to pay for and instant results.... as for Crazy for dropping nearly a grand on the new camera, let me put that into perspective for you. This year I have spent just over $5500.... (hope the wife don't read this!) I still have buyers remorse over the 2nd camera purchase of the year, could of replaced my ailing 50D for less than half of what I spent, but what the heck, eating is over rated!

(Aug 31, 2015, 20:54)EnglishBob Wrote:  Well the great thing about learning with a digital...no film to pay for and instant results.... as for Crazy for dropping nearly a grand on the new camera, let me put that into perspective for you. This year I have spent just over $5500.... (hope the wife don't read this!) I still have buyers remorse over the 2nd camera purchase of the year, could of replaced my ailing 50D for less than half of what I spent, but what the heck, eating is over rated!

Yeah right. I could tell by your postings that you recently made a very, very significant quality upgrade your self recently. A great point was made by a guy who had upgraded to a new Sony, and had mastered the art of using lense adapters to Canon, and other lenses on his Sony camera because they don't offer as many lens really, and most of the lenses they do offer for that camera are significantly more expensive... . He loves his Sony but didn't want to be sleeping under the freeway because he couldn't pay rent... . Right! Exactly. I catch his cosmic drift... .

On either the Canon, (or Sony) platforms, and it is especially true with Canon because it is so popular, and the EF Mounts have endured for so long now, that it is possible to keep an eye peeled for excellent quality used lenses, and when an opportunity presents itself either on line, or locally with a user, to selectively continue to optimize economically... .

Most of my stuff is usually acquired used, and there seems to be little reason why lenses, and many other things can"t be purchased that way... . However as I read your posts with the user who had dust issues with his new Nikon replacement, I tossed the idea of buying a used digital camera I could not physically see right out the window, at least for this camera, for the simple reason that I simply can not afford a mistake of that financial magnitude... . Right? Right! Exactly.

Thank you for your encouragement, You'll find a way to explain it to her maybe someday... . LOL Really appreciate your time, and your post. Keep up the good work 'ole buddy... . Thank you so much for sending.

Kindest regards,
david

Happy ending, looking to see results. Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

(Sep 1, 2015, 01:40)EdMak Wrote:  Happy ending, looking to see results. Cheers. Ed.

Ed - Thanks for sending. Found your kind words to very, very helpful for me during the decision process I have been in, and it caused me to re-assess an earlier line of thinking, and take a more careful look at alternative ideas that I thought may be not possible. While obviously I could not fully explore everything, I took a very care look at your pictures, and then having been a Minolta user, took a very hard look at the Sony camera line, the new cameras, as well as some of the older models, especially in light of my own desire to try to use the equipment I already have. I liked what I found very much, and I am keeping an eye peeled for possible further opportunities in those areas. Answering some of the questions my on line friends have asked helped to make it easier for me because I was able to better understand WHY I wanted to upgrade my digital camera to begin with... .

Looking at your pictures helped me to realize that high end cameras with awesome specifications don't take pictures, people do. Someone new like me doesn't want to buy a brand new camera that is technologically out dated, but doesn't really realize that you don't necessarily need the latest and greatest to be able to take a very fine picture either. Your input helped me to settle on buying a new camera model that is more than six years old now, and has been updated by the manufacturer with a later model, and I was able to find what I hope will be a really great camera for me at a price I was able to stretch to make, and it is a good decision I think. It is a better decision for me than buying an old used lesser camera that is basically deemed ready for replacement even before purchase, and end up wasting my money buying the wrong thing for me really.

The law of diminishing returns... . Loved it. Loved it. Just Loved it 'ole buddy!
Thanks for sending... .
david

Hey mates! No worries... . 'ole brother david, in his infinite wisdom, just managed to order his self a camera adapter, (before losing the link, or abandoning the film project entirely...), and a cleaning kit with a microfiber cloth - both items some of you have referenced in postings. Never had that before. We are really cowboys out here in the country man... .

It occurs to me I ought to order some lens filters principally to protect the lens surface if for no other reason. Any recommendations for filters that are commonly useful, especially in outdoor photography? I also shoot a fair amount of events both inside, and sometimes outside in various light conditions including stage lighting at music events with a lot of light/color changes... . Having no particular issues with it using my current phone camera, except to say that going forward I will have some new ways to attenuate the light going into the camera but don't know what they even are much when to use them. and where. Any basic ideas for me? Thanks so much... .

Kindest regards,
david

OK... . All rig So my new camera just arrived new in the box, and I know absolutely nothing about how to begin to go about setting this device up, digital photography for me has been on a cell phone so far... .

The Canon 7D package seems to be pretty complete, and every thing is brand new... . Before I plug this critter in, and begin to charge the battery system, and begin to set this device up to use it, is there any reason why I should not want to keep it? Not being actually capable of remorse, (buyer's remorse anyway), I am wondering if any of you guys may still yet have a further suggestion concerning the camera selection matter... .

Darn near ordered a Sony A7 without a new lens for a little more than the same money, and that one has a full frame sensor... . I am still learning about these things, and hope I have made a good choice going forward. I am still interested in the Sony cameras, as well as other cameras, and will be keepin' an eye peeled for a possible further quality upgrade once I get my feet wet using these new devices... .

If any of you mates have any helpful suggestions for me about now, I would be happy to have them. Right now I am going to Remain Calm, and then go from there... .

Kindest regards,
'ole brother david

David, you would probably get an instruction book, but, check on any supplied CD's/DVD's, to see if there is an extended version, more pages. Caught twice on this. Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

Following on from Ed's post, and apologies if the following suggestions for the early stages seem too obvious:-
1. You've got the gear so, at least for the time being, forget about other gear (the 7D is great), and regard digital photography as being cost free.
2. Get to know your camera - a new camera should come with an instruction manual, so study the first few introductory chapters.
3. Take some photos, of anything, anywhere (provided it's legal!), viewing each one on the camera screen, and also transfer them to a computer to see them on a computer screen.
4. Practise setting the controls - read the manual and/or search the Web to find out how - and take lots more photos, to study the effects.
5. The shutter should be capable of at least 100,000 shots, so read more of the manual and/or on the Web, practise setting the controls, take lots more photos, see the effects.
6. Practise, practise controlling the camera, taking and viewing lots more photos, referring to the manual and/or the Web as needed, until you know your camera thoroughly.

Cheers.
Philip

(Sep 5, 2015, 01:18)EdMak Wrote:  David, you would probably get an instruction book, but, check on any supplied CD's/DVD's, to see if there is an extended version, more pages. Caught twice on this. Cheers. Ed.

Oh yes... . The merchandise package I have received from the vendor is very, very high quality, and in addition to the camera/lens packages from Canon, there also is an additional disk that has been also purchased that ostensibly contains further instructions, including possibly some video... . Haven't opened anything really yet. Took one look at the camera, and put it back in the box, and started wondering if I should ship it back... . So daunting in technology I am wondering if I am going to able to learn how to use this thing. Kinda a back woodman out here in the country ya' know... . But really. The kids get this new technology with the phones, and the computers and stuff, and for people of my generation is all very new. Plus we put 'em into such a level of over load with low payin' jobs and student debt ya' gotta buy 'em a beer to even get one of 'em to even talk to ya... .

Just kinda being here with my fingers crossed, and hoping that I have done the right thing... There probably are cameras that are more technologically sophisticated than mine, but I would say that I have my hands full to learn how to operate this one... . Thanks for sending. Appreciate your posts, and your replies so much.

Kindest regards.
david

Thank you for your reply, and your encouragement sir... . Will do my very best to avoid testing my new camera in Area 51, and other restricted areas around military installations, nuclear power plants, air ports, and government buildings, and just try to confine myself to places like music festivals, ski resorts, pastoral settings of peacefully grazing large horned animals, and some of the more attractive females of the species on the beaches, and where ever else they may be further found... .

Need to do some other work first today, and then I will at least make a start with it. Really do appreciate your encouragement. Glad I purchased a package that contains a camera, and lens that is made for it and are designed to work together. Hopefully the disk will really help, and I will be able to use the manual for reference, as opposed to engaging in manual labor... . Found the reading I have done in one of David Busch's books that my buddy loaned me to be easy to read, and helpful, and helped me to understand the basis of having a camera with a primary lens, and that a zoom lens is really like many lenses in one through out it's range... .

Glad to have found a camera from one of the leading manufacturers, and that it is in new condition, and all the stuff to start is there. Having contact with other users is proving to be very helpful for me. Thanks for your reply... .

Kindest regards.
david

(Sep 5, 2015, 08:28)brother david Wrote:  .... just try to confine myself to places like music festivals, ski resorts, pastoral settings of peacefully grazing large horned animals, and some of the more attractive females of the species on the beaches, and where ever else they may be further found....

Kindest regards.
david

Brother David - during those early stages of ownership, if following the suggestions in Post #43, you don't need to go anywhere special to take photos. In and around your home will be just fine - they are not for keeping but for learning. The sole aim is just to get familiar with the features of your new technology really well so that, when you do go to photograph the sorts of places you describe above, you are knowledgeable and confident in using the gear. And even then, when you are back at home, keep on practising, regularly - it costs nothing!! Smile

Cheers.
Philip

(Sep 5, 2015, 12:55)MrB Wrote:  
(Sep 5, 2015, 08:28)brother david Wrote:  .... just try to confine myself to places like music festivals, ski resorts, pastoral settings of peacefully grazing large horned animals, and some of the more attractive females of the species on the beaches, and where ever else they may be further found....

Kindest regards.
david

Brother David - during those early stages of ownership, if following the suggestions in Post #43, you don't need to go anywhere special to take photos. In and around your home will be just fine - they are not for keeping but for learning. The sole aim is just to get familiar with the features of your new technology really well so that, when you do go to photograph the sorts of places you describe above, you are knowledgeable and confident in using the gear. And even then, when you are back at home, keep on practising, regularly - it costs nothing!! Smile

Cheers.
Philip

Thank you for your reply, and encouragement... . One of the other posting members has also commented on the essence of digital photography being essentially free on an incremental cost per picture basis, and with instant results no less. That is one of the most attractive reasons for me also, and I have just loved using my cell camera doing every day things. Used it today to photograph a piece of furniture.

Your encouragement to just do it as part of every day is especially appreciated on my part. Having some health issues, and it is not clear that I feel well enough to go out with a hundred thousand people to see a favorite music group at a big league event, but I probably will be able to make it to the Saturday edition of my church's worship service, and we are having some special music in our own house tonight, and I may just possibly photograph some of that with the camera in my Samsung phone, (takes nice pictures...), and Remain Calm... . Thanks for sending mate!
david

Full sky rainbow from horizon to horizon taken looking east in Sioux Falls, South Dakota USA on 9 September 2015 using a Samsung Note 4 (Large Horned Animal Phone) LHAP 16 MP camera phone.

Kindest regards,
david

That's a nice rainbow, David. Applying the idea that less can be more, the photo for me would be just the rainbow and the tree-tops, e.g. -

Cheers.
Philip

(Sep 15, 2015, 21:48)MrB Wrote:  That's a nice rainbow, David. Applying the idea that less can be more, the photo for me would be just the rainbow and the tree-tops, e.g. -

Cheers.
Philip

Thank you so much for your reply, and for working with this photograph. Yeah right. The picture was taken from the front of the VA Medical Center at about 1800 hours, and the light was changing quickly, and the rainbow was disappearing fast... . It's so handy to have a phone with a pretty good camera in it, and I was able to capture part of it during a fleeting moment. Very satisfying... . Thank you again sir!!!!

Kindest regards,
david

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by mooremob
Jun 16, 2015, 01:29