Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Artist

(I do have an ulterior motive for posting this: am posting a small set of examples on cropping over at the "pp and manipulation" area...however in the meantimeSmile

This lady was doing as many do for the tourists: preparing or creating her artwork in the amber light of late afternoon. This was taken in San Gimignano, on an archetypal(or cliche'd) sun-flooded Tuscan basking sort of day. I was leaning against a stone parapet, along with several gelato-guzzling touristas who had been glowered at for pointing their photo-snapping-phones in the lady's direction.
The ease of taking this shot was offset by a wee challenge...both features of wideangle shooting:
Easy, as I had bags of depth of field to play with even pre-focusing the lens for the decisive moment...challenging in that it only takes an intake of breath to move away from the perpendicular. This is exacerbated the wider one gets.
Here the Zeiss 21mm is at its optimum: f5.6 and ISO100. As I had no polariser on, and given that there was strong sunlight bouncing all around, this gave me a shutter speed of 1/400s.
The lady actually had a small notice on her parasol, which said "please no foto": I was able to point the lens apparently away from her whilst including her in the frame..but in order to keep the lines straight I had to really point it at her square-on.
This image is a crop, but I was in a dilemma as I took the shot...more about why this was, will be shortly over at the "pp/manipulation" area....

[Image: 876_go2.jpg]

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Zig Wrote:The lady actually had a small notice on her parasol, which said "please no foto":
Too bad. Do your art in private then. I find the whole "no photos" thin tedious. I will take pictures of anything I can see, If you don't like it, stay out of public places. Bravo to you for bucking the sign and taking the photo.

Maybe she didn't want photos taken of her actual artwork?

Canon stuff.

Very gracious there Chris! Smile

Toad: I daresay that if an image of mine were draped over the front of National Geographic and I'd made a few shekels without genuflecting to beg permission of the signing of a model release from...then the subject might have a case.
As it is, I agree..and the later in the days it got, the more tetchy and impatient I became with this.
I'm unsure whether it's some kind of infringement of human rights(his digital box ensnared my soul and resides within it still!), like in a virtual and artistic Guantanamo Bay...or whether it's a bit of pseudo-martyrdom ...everyone is a celeb nowadays you know..
This "noli me tangere" prissiness doesn't just concern "artists" with an attack of the creative vapours...though many of them make a very little talent go a long way: it extends to street traders, crappily overdone idiots who dress up like statues by wearing sheets, shopfronts, gondola-pokers and the ersatz nouveau-pauvre quasi-beggars who are onto the tourist buck like hyenas on a carcase.
My general reading of this is that these people actually expect one to pay them, rather as if you are taking an image of them(from them) for free. I guess this nation has a stolidly time-honoured tradition of mercenary behaviour, with all for a price...maybe having its roots in the home-grown medieval pastimes of the Catholic church flogging remission of sins for hard cash or the employment of northern european dog soldiers to trash a neighbour.
Whatever, it stinks.
My taking a photo is an expression of my freedom to do so: having paid for a holiday and the numerous other inflated sundries as part of my injection of capital into the Italian economy, it's all a bit nuts. I don't expect petulant histrionics from the Duomo, turning its limestone back huffily if I don't pay it off...and I resent an overpaid gondola-pusher ranting when I point a camera at his person.
Yep, I agree: don't dress like it, don't live in a photogenic place, don't have interesting kit hanging up in your shop, and do your "art" indoors if you want "no foto".

Big Grin

(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

People living in a touristic place should expect to find in the street, interested tourist taking pictures.

BTW, I also thought the same as Chris, by the position of the sign what I thought she didn't want was to take picture of her paintings. In that case I would agree with her. Someone comes with a camera take a picture of her painting, prints it and hang it in the wall... I don't find that fair.

On the other hand she could be more diplomatic (or clever?) and wrapping the paintings in transparent paper and add a line kind of tape crossing the painting so if someone take the picture the picture wouldn't work... kind of watermark... Big Grin

Now about your picture... I like it... it tells a story and the colors are beautiful.... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

(You're right Irma: the sign is hanging on her work, after all; sadly however, she was like a cat on hot bricks when phones were pointed in her general direction from a distance).
Yep, the light was just right at that time in the day too.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EnglishBob
Feb 27, 2015, 09:57
Last Post by Pavel
Aug 9, 2008, 20:54