ShutterTalk Digital Photography Contest February 2014: Your Best Photo Shot

(Feb 22, 2014, 16:31)Orca Wrote:  
(Feb 21, 2014, 14:30)Louie Wrote:  Another pic of egret on the lake. Shy
Thanks Orca Smile
Louie,
Great shot. Well done

Hi, my first offering on the Forum.    

Hi, my second offering.    

And my third, sorry I didn't leave details on the others so have put them on this post.    

No 1. Taken on 22/01/2014 with Nikon D3100 + Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 di vc usd, f/8, FL 300mm, ISO 400, three Starlings on power line.

No 2. Taken on 15/02/2014 with Nikon D7000 + Nikon AF-S 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 ED, f/5.3, FL 66mm, ISO 100, rose over mirror sprayed with water.

No 3. Taken on 18/02/2014 with Nikon D3100 + Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 di vc usd, f/8, FL 170mm, ISO 400, fields about a mile away near Oakerthorpe, Derbyshire.

Nice shots! Thanks for sharing with us!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

It looks like one of the old fortified farms that the Border Rievers would have lived in.

very nice; I like it

regards

F

Thanks Digi,
for your kind words...
are you entering this month?

F

(Feb 23, 2014, 17:54)Ferenc Wrote:  Thanks Digi,
for your kind words...
are you entering this month?

F

Im hoping to, but be setting up and launching my website which has taken priority. I will see what are my favourite images this last few weeks, and put something in.

I took this one on Saturday to try out Natural Framing, a technique I had been reading about. I like to try out new/different techniques to improve my knowledge and skills. It also makes you look at things differently and views/angles you would normally pass by.

This was taken through the slot inside of a rubbish bin/trash can (depending where you are from.....) I had to shuffle about a little to frame it right but using the rule of 3rd's, I have framed Roker Lighthouse nicely (I thinks so, anyway). It's a plain, simple quite minimalist shot which I really like. Boosted the saturation a little, removed some dust spots and adjusted the contrast slightly. Hope you like it too.

Attached Files Image(s)

My next image is a fun image I did at Christmas. The brief says to enter creative images hence my 1st entry and this one, both using different but quite creative techniques. I call this one 'Christmas, A Time For Relection' and this is me taking the shot....In my PJ's I hasten to add..haha)

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote='DigiDiva' pid='93638' dateline='1393275519']
I took this one on Saturday to try out Natural Framing, a technique I had been reading about. I like to try out new/different techniques to improve my knowledge and skills. It also makes you look at things differently and views/angles you would normally pass by.

This was taken through the slot inside of a rubbish bin/trash can (depending where you are from.....) I had to shuffle about a little to frame it right but using the rule of 3rd's, I have framed Roker Lighthouse nicely (I thinks so, anyway). It's a plain, simple quite minimalist shot which I really like. Boosted the saturation a little, removed some dust spots and adjusted the contrast slightly. Hope you like it too.

Top one. Nice Posting!!!!!!! Ed.

To each his own!

My third creative entry is 'The Eye Of The Needle'. I experimented with distances from the coloured backdrop to the needle until I achieved the effect I wanted. Mixing water and glucose to help the droplets remain in place longer and putting them there with an eyedropper, I was able to spend time focusing manually on live view, without fear of the drop falling off. I use a nice long shutter speed of 15 seconds (remote shutter release) and canon EF100mm F2.8 USM lens with camera mounted on a tripod.

Attached Files Image(s)

I was amazed by the beauty of nature found in the midst of a severe Ice Storm in December 2013. I took this photo of a single leaf on a Red Maple branch encased in Ice as a reminder of this event. I used a Canon EOS Rebel T4i with an 18-135 mm lens, and took the photo handheld at 135mm, 5.6, 1/320 and iso of 100. I loved the result, and will keep it amongst my favourite photos. Don

Attached Files Image(s)

(Feb 24, 2014, 15:32)DigiDiva Wrote:  My third creative entry is 'The Eye Of The Needle'. I experimented with distances from the coloured backdrop to the needle until I achieved the effect I wanted. Mixing water and glucose to help the droplets remain in place longer and putting them there with an eyedropper, I was able to spend time focusing manually on live view, without fear of the drop falling off. I use a nice long shutter speed of 15 seconds (remote shutter release) and canon EF100mm F2.8 USM lens with camera mounted on a tripod.

very nice image

Some really great photos here, I'm curious who will win! Smile

When are the results published? Are pictures scored, or just a winner chosen?

Hello members! There were some really good photographs entered in to this month's competition. And the results were very close, but a winner has been chosen!

Congratulations to brianapenney for your winning entry (number 40)! I will be sending you an private message with more information!

Thank you to each one of you who have posted in the contest thread!

(Mar 5, 2014, 04:44)StellaMN Wrote:  When are the results published? Are pictures scored, or just a winner chosen?

Hello,

The pictures are critiqued and then the winner chosen. Thank you!

Congrats brianapenney, your photo is awesome and it deserved the win! Smile

Personally, I really struggle to keep up with the entries against the comments. The thread ends up huge and it confuses me.It took me 3 times, to find the winning image to study it closer. . Im currently away from my mac at home and using a small netbook and I am really struggling. Is there a reason why there isn't an entries thread and a separate comments thread? Hope no one minds this comment as I am fairly new here and don't want to 'butt in' on whats clearly a very good competition each month.

Well done Brian, a great win and well deserved.

I agree with DigiDiva - that's not a complaint but maybe a constructive criticism that could be considered. I too found it all very muddling and having a very slow internet connection here makes it tiresome to keep going backwards and forwards over pages.

Congratulations Brianapenney on your win.

I would like to say I agree with the comments about keeping the entries and comments separate, as the thread can get a bit unwieldy, particularly as I imagine the number of entries will increase over time.

Another suggestion I have would be for the judges to give some brief feedback about what qualities they felt the winning image had which made it their top choice. That would make it a bit more of a learning experience for everyone.

I hope no one minds me commenting like I did.