Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ShutterTalk Digital Photography Open Competition May 2016: Architecture

ShutterTalk Digital Photography Open Competition (Contest) May 2016: Architecture

NEW GUIDELINES for this Competition: Please Read Below

Category: Architecture
Contest Begins: May 5, 2016
Contest Ends: May 31, 2016
Open To: ShutterTalk Digital Photography Forum Members
Contest Type: International Photography Competition (Contest)
Prize: Amazon Gift Card (Undisclosed Amount)

Guidelines:

Submit up to three photos of digital photographs of some of your best photo shots with the theme "Architecture." This is an open category and can include a variety of styles of photography.

For this particular competition, the photos do not have a time limit on when they have been taken. Photos entered can be from years ago, as well as more recently. They just need to be posted in this thread by the end of the competition to be counted within this contest.

Images must be posted here in this forum thread and be owned legally by the contributing member. Please also submit information about where the photo was taken along with some brief details.

The photograph should be interesting and draw the individual into the scene! We look forward to seeing your photographs!

Judging

Judging will consider different criteria including, but not limited to, creativity, relevance to the category, and photo quality. Judging will occur when the contest ends and results will be posted in the forums as soon as possible.

Winning Multiple Times During Monthly Contests - NEW

A member can be chosen as the winner twice within a six month period. This will even the "playing field" to some degree to allow other members the ability to enter their high-quality photographs and have the opportunity to also be chosen as the winner during a new monthly contest theme.

Please refrain from commenting on other's posts in this thread until the contest end date.

How do I upload photos on the forums?

Here are a few threads which should be helpful in uploading photos to the forums. Please feel free to send me a message if you need additional help.

How To Attach Multiple Photos

How To Attach Photos

Letting Others Know about the Contest

We would love to let others know about our contests. We plan to have a contest each month. If you have friends who love photography, please let them know!

If you love social media, please share with your media friends about the contest on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, your blogs, everywhere! We would love to have them in here in the forums and be a part of the contests!

Questions?

Please let us know if you have any questions!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

I'll kick off Undecided

First off we have Coventry Cathedral, a mix of the very old and the very new. Taken on my old Lumix G3 m4/3 camera with a 20mm prime at f/8 1/500th and ISO 160.

[Image: 20309879833_9a39b7ce67_c.jpg]

Second one is my home town, Gloucester in rush hour (really - it was midday and yet there was almost no-one in this scene from the town centre). Taken on a Fuji x100s at f/11 1/100th ISO 200

[Image: 16984999259_656a9098c5_z.jpg]

And lastly a different cathedral. This is Gloucester again, taken from a secret stairway in an old building overlooking the rooftops of the Westgate Quarter. The x100s again, this time f/11 @ 1/250th and ISO250

[Image: 16447095574_ce23310442_z.jpg]

[Image: 6B4b3aA.jpg?1]

Spinnaker tower Portsmouth

SmileJohn

Architecture in rural Kentucky.

Attached Files Image(s)

here are my three photographs for this month's competition.

The first is "Edinburgh Rock".

The second is "The Great Hall".

And the final one, "Flying Buttresses".

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

A Mansion, a Castle, and a Cathedral

These photos were some of those taken on a holiday based in Bournemouth, Dorset, during 2015:

1. Kingston Lacy House, Wimborne Minster, Dorset:

[ 35mm prime lens at f/8; 1/640s; ISO 160; +0.7EV.]

2. Highcliffe Castle, near Bournemouth, Dorset:

[ 35mm prime lens at f/8; 1/500s; ISO 160; six-shot stitched panorama using Microsoft ICE.]

3. Britain's Tallest Spire, Salisbury Cathedral, Wiltshire:

[ 20-40mm zoom lens at 20mm and f/8; 1/250s; ISO 160; +1.0EV.]

[ Camera: Pentax K-5 IIs; all shots captured hand-held, as premium JPEGs in colour, edited in PaintShop Pro x8, and best viewed at the larger size.]

Cheers.
Philip

3 views of St Mary's Church Ecclesfield, South Yorkshire

Attached Files Image(s)

Local Chapel. Sony a290. 1/30th @ F3.5, 18mm Tamron 18/200mm. ISO 125. Tripod.

The Long Stairs, local feature, used to be covered by people, at Mill’s starting/finishing times. . Minolta Dynax 5D. 1/50th @ F5.6 18mm Sony 18/55mm, ISO 100. Hand held.

Gateshead Quayside. Dynax 5D 1/30th @F5.6 35mm 28/200 Tamron, ISO 800, Hand held.
Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

These are the gates to Lacock Abbey, Wiltshire, England. The abbey is in the back ground.

[img][Image: 22857150311_88efa7c417_b.jpg]IMG_1511 laycock gate by derek webber, on Flickr[/img]
Canon 450
ƒ/9.0
10.0 mm
1/160
200 iso

This is a photograph of a church through a church ruin window.

[Image: 22223248994_ba5387ba3a_c.jpg][/url]IMG_1997 church window by derek webber, on Flickr[/img]
Canon 450
ƒ/11.0
18.0 mm
1/200
200 iso

Saw this mannequin in the window of a house next door to the Tate Modern in Saint Ives. Taken from the Tate café while drinking coffee.

[img][Image: 21365628441_eef706e6f3_c.jpg]IMG_0257 face in window mono (wc) by derek webber, on Flickr[/img]
Cannon 450d
ƒ/10.0
55.0 mm
1/400
100 iso

I am new to posting images to this site. I would like to do this fairly regularly.
Do they need downsizing ? I have included this shot of Corn Exchange, Leeds my architecture shot.
Martyn[/size][/font]

(May 21, 2016, 14:33)martynroydawson1 Wrote:  I am new to posting images to this site. I would like to do this fairly regularly.
Do they need downsizing ? I have included this shot of Corn Exchange, Leeds my architecture shot.
Martyn[/size][/font]

Hello,

I do not see your image attached to your post. Did you take a look at the instructions to post an image in the beginning of this thread? Depending on the size of your photo, you may need to resize it.

Thank you,
Barbara

This photograph is of the inside of a space station !
Actually it's a stairwell in a block of Flats in Kings Cross,London it was designed by a Russian architect in the 1950's taken with my iPhone as I was actually there working.

We Photographers deal in things which are continually Vanishing and when they have vanished, there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. We cannot develope and print a memory.
                 Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

Seattle Cityscape
Canon 300D, F/6.3, ISO100, 70mm, 10 second exposure.
[Image: 3273059411_10c183ec05_o.jpg]

Dechambeau Hotel and Oddfellow’s building, Bodie
Canon 5DIII, F/4.5, ISO100, 36mm, 3 shot HDR image.
[Image: 22986990051_ab5936e6e8_b.jpg]

James Stuart Cain’s Home, Bodie, Ca.
Canon 5DIII, F/4.5, ISO100, 24mm, 3 shot HDR image.
[Image: 21673415713_5db6f178c7_b.jpg]

I am enjoying these challenges, with one photo from my recent trip to the USA and the others from my home town, Glasgow.

Nightscape looking north across the River Clyde.

This photo is of the Merchantile building. I am constantly surprised and impressed when I look up at the buildings in the city centre.

A dilapidated house in Cold Spring, north of NYC on the east side of the Hudson River.

Thank you to all who entered May's competition! There were some really nice entries!!

Congrats to Jocko as our winner for the May competition (post 5b).

Please be sure to enter the contest for this month! You could be our next winner!

Thanks to all!!

Congratulations John, I had that one pegged as my favorite as soon as I saw it. Very creatively done.

Well done John. Hope that your recovery is progressing. This should cheer you up.
Best Wishes, Mike.

" Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst "
Henri Cartier - Bresson.

Better than the Doctor's prescription John, well done, hope you are recovering steadily. Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

Thank you guys. It was a delightful surprise.
Ed/Mike. Recovery slow and I am feeling fed up and sore. Cannot be bothered doing any of my usual hobbies. Need a good kick up the bum to get me going. Really miss driving.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Congratulations, John.

As for the kick.....too far away from you.....but here's a verbal boot - if you can get to your computer, rework some of your images, e.g. by using your newer software, and get some posted on here, a.s.a.p.! Smile

Cheers.
Philip

Well done, Jocko! Well deserved and hopefully a bit of a tonic!

Congrats. John! A really tight composition and a worthy winner from an impressive group of images.