Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sleeping Lizard

Last night I spotted a tiny baby green anole on one of my serrano pepper plant's leaves.
The lizard is under an inch long minus the tail.
It woke up for a few seconds so I waited a bit before resuming all the flashing.

I held the flash under my lens to backlight the leaf while still lighting the lizard's head.
[Image: sleepinglizard.jpg]

(Click on the photo for a 1024x768 pixel version)

Another really good use for off-camera flash. It's an interesting effect.

And it's funny that after you got your car back you've been staying close to home, with some really strong results.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Great macro Keith - he looks much bigger than an inch in the picture. I like your choice of lighting too.

Canon stuff.

Great light and colors, I love this shot!

We don't make mistakes, We make discoveries!

Thanks, glad you like it, everyone.

I'm trying to force uncooperative flash equipment to do what I want, and the challenge has been frustrating except for macros--they seem to be dependable. An automatic flash that doesn't really communicate with the camera has a mind of it's own, especially during the day.

And I'm also trying to carve out a personal style of wildlife photography at the same time, which seems to be coming along nicely.

BTW, I can see the same lizard asleep on another leaf right now but don't feel much like trying to improve on the photo above.
Maybe when he's older.
Right now the little guy still poops in his sleep--you should see an uncropped photo lit from above.

KeithAlanK Wrote:I'm trying to force uncooperative flash equipment to do what I want, and the challenge has been frustrating except for macros--they seem to be dependable. An automatic flash that doesn't really communicate with the camera has a mind of it's own, especially during the day.
It might be interesting for you to provide a description of the gear you're using and its setup. I have a pretty good idea of what you're going through to get these, and if I'm right, then it could be a great example of what's possible with relatively limited equipment. ("relatively" because it still blows away any camera Cartier-Bresson touched.)

There's something to be said for the virtue of limiting your options to focus your mind -- such as, like most virtues that involve moderation, it's best found in others. Big Grin I brought out some of my SC gear, put in fresh batteries and cards... and put it away again after just a few minutes. My Pocket Wizards are shipping on Monday. Big Grin

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

It looks as if the lizard were taking the sun. I like it! Beautiful detail too.

I think your have developed a personal style in this kind of pictures. I like it! Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Thanks, Irma.

So Matthew is getting Pocket Wizards?
You'll love them of course.
I'll never be able to afford PWs but that's OK--I'll make whatever I get work well.
I always do.

Take a tranceiver to the mall or wherever there's a public portrait studio.
Have fun firing their strobes at random times from across the street. Cool Tongue

I'll start a write-up on how I do these macros right now.
Look for it soon.

KeithAlanK Wrote:So Matthew is getting Pocket Wizards?
Yeah, I decided it was finally time to spend some money on this 'photography' thing.

(Actually, with the dollar at par, I'm looking hard for things that I need. It nocked about $75 per Pocket off the price, including shipping. I'm almost regretting only getting three.)

With the new addition to the family, I'll be able to sync both of my three on-camera flashes as well as fire my Alien Bees by their own radio trigger. The two PW'ed flashes alone gives me a great "fast & light" option for when I'm on the road, as well as more appropriate power for small product. Add the two see-them-from-space AB 800s and I can light the entire ground floor of a house smoothly with good accents.

And I saw that article about the entertainment value of a stray Pocket Wizard. Evil. I'm really tempted to go looking for opportunities....

For anyone who's lost, The Strobist had a lot of fun in the mall a few months ago.
He had a Pocket Wizard® transceiver with him, and noticed that the mall portrait studio used them to fire their strobes wirelessly.
After finding which channel they used, he started triggering their flashes at random times while sitting on a bench out in the mall. (Not during a session).
He said he felt a little guilty about causing confusion and much head-scratching but that it was only harmless fun. Cool

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Yorkshire Hawker
Jul 31, 2014, 12:17
Last Post by finn
Oct 21, 2013, 12:20