Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Snow over the redrocks

Hi All, I was in Sedona AZ a few weeks ago and took this photo in Jerome. It was odd weather for the area as it was snowing over the mountains and cold for that area, 33 degrees from 78 the day before.

I love this scene but I am not a fan of the blue cast that the snow created. I have tried to get rid of the cast but this is the best I have been able to achieve by changing the saturation levels. I do not have Photo shop right now as I upgraded to Windows 8 and it will not cooperate with the version of PS that I have. Though I am not sure even Photoshop can get rid of this tint! Sad

I'm also thinking it might need to be cropped but every time I crop it the "cast" seems to make it worse. Would love some feedback! Thank you in advance!!!!! :-)

Attached Files Image(s)

(Mar 10, 2014, 22:37)dianebaughn Wrote:  Hi All, I was in Sedona AZ a few weeks ago and took this photo in Jerome. It was odd weather for the area as it was snowing over the mountains and cold for that area, 33 degrees from 78 the day before.

I love this scene but I am not a fan of the blue cast that the snow created. I have tried to get rid of the cast but this is the best I have been able to achieve by changing the saturation levels. I do not have Photo shop right now as I upgraded to Windows 8 and it will not cooperate with the version of PS that I have. Though I am not sure even Photoshop can get rid of this tint! Sad

I'm also thinking it might need to be cropped but every time I crop it the "cast" seems to make it worse. Would love some feedback! Thank you in advance!!!!! :-)
Sorry all neglected to tell you I was at ISO600 SS400 F16 with a Nikon Zoom 70-300 I did a bracket of 3 F11 16 22 and this was the best shot.

How much worse is this. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

(Mar 11, 2014, 08:21)EdMak Wrote:  How much worse is this. Ed.

Ed, Much better, what did you do??? I know your going to tell me I need to upgrade my Photoshop! LOL! THANK YOU!!! Any idea what the blue cast is? Is it the snow? I know that Ice carries a blue hue but I've never had an issue with snow.
Di

I use P/S CS4E. Very learned friend says CS3 will do for most people. I used Hue/Saturation, & Contrast/Brightness mainly. White balance may have been the initial cause. What version do you have. Ed.

To each his own!

(Mar 10, 2014, 22:37)dianebaughn Wrote:  Hi All, I was in Sedona AZ a few weeks ago and took this photo in Jerome. It was odd weather for the area as it was snowing over the mountains and cold for that area, 33 degrees from 78 the day before.

diane;

If you could post or point us to a larger version of this image, then maybe some of us would give it a shot and then tell you what we did.

Question. Are you shooting jpg's? Or RAW?
I ask because if you were shooting RAW, there's be a better chance of recovering what you saw from what the camera captured.

As to PS and Win8. Are you aware that you can now subscribe to PhotoShop CC AND LightRoom together for $10/month (plus tax)? You'll always have the latest version(s) on your computer. Costs less than upgrading every 3 years.

PS: I was just in Sedona last week. Going up Oak Creek Canyon is magical, especially in my 2 seater convertible!

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

(Mar 11, 2014, 16:15)EdMak Wrote:  I use P/S CS4E. Very learned friend says CS3 will do for most people. I used Hue/Saturation, & Contrast/Brightness mainly. White balance may have been the initial cause. What version do you have. Ed.

I will check it out! I have Photoshop Elements 6 and the Antique Photoshop Edition 3 Student/Teacher Version came out in 2005. I need to upgrade :-) For some reason with this D80 I have issues with getting a lot of "hues" I'm not happy with in my photo's. I struggle with the white balance, never really understood how to get what I want out of it, this was so much easier when I walked in a dark room did a little burning and dodging and played with the chemicals! LOL! There is so much to learn! Happily, Di!

(Mar 11, 2014, 17:42)Wall-E Wrote:  [quote='dianebaughn' pid='93987' dateline='1394512620']
Hi All, I was in Sedona AZ a few weeks ago and took this photo in Jerome. It was odd weather for the area as it was snowing over the mountains and cold for that area, 33 degrees from 78 the day before.

diane;

If you could post or point us to a larger version of this image, then maybe some of us would give it a shot and then tell you what we did.

I ask because if you were shooting RAW, there's be a better chance of recovering what you saw from what the camera captured.

As to PS and Win8. Are you aware that you can now subscribe to PhotoShop CC AND LightRoom together for $10/month (plus tax)? You'll always have the latest version(s) on your computer. Costs less than upgrading every 3 years.

PS: I was just in Sedona last week. Going up Oak Creek Canyon is magical, especially in my 2 seater convertible!

This is the only image size I could upload. I kept getting an error that the file was to big and wouldn't post. I shoot JPEG, have never shot RAW, can you tell me how to do this? I thought there was a trick to using the RAW format? I was very disappointed in these snow shots, I'm usually pretty damn close to what I saw, but not this time. I did not know that you could purchase monthly can you post the link? Thank You so much for all your feedback!!!

LOVED Sedona would go again in a heart beat! I'll bet it was incredible in your 2 seater!!!!! Smile We drove up to Oak Creek as well it was so beautiful there no matter where you go!

(Mar 11, 2014, 19:37)dianebaughn Wrote:  [quote='Wall-E' pid='94025' dateline='1394581366']
[quote='dianebaughn' pid='93987' dateline='1394512620']

diane;

Quote:This is the only image size I could upload. I kept getting an error that the file was to big and wouldn't post. I shoot JPEG, have never shot RAW, can you tell me how to do this? I thought there was a trick to using the RAW format? I was very disappointed in these snow shots, I'm usually pretty damn close to what I saw, but not this time. I did not know that you could purchase monthly can you post the link? Thank You so much for all your feedback!!!

LOVED Sedona would go again in a heart beat! I'll bet it was incredible in your 2 seater!!!!! Smile We drove up to Oak Creek as well it was so beautiful there no matter where you go!

There's no real 'trick' to shooting RAW. It REQUIRES post processing, since none of the settings (like saturation, color balance, sharpening) are applied in-camera. And that shouldn't be a big deal, since you are already familiar with PS.

The Adobe deal is still on. $9.99 + tax/month, gets you PhotoShop plus Lightroom.
https://creative.adobe.com/plans/offer/p...+lightroom

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

Thank you WallE!!!! Great Info! I will check it out! Di

For those in the UK - The Adobe offer is on for a short period priced at £8.78 (inc VAT). Telephone: 0800 0280 148.
Regards, Mike.

[quote='Browser Mike' pid='94057' dateline='1394747974']
For those in the UK - The Adobe offer is on for a short period priced at £8.78 (inc VAT). Telephone: 0800 0280 148.
Regards, Mike.

Hi Mike, The only thing I am confused about is can I still save pics to my computer.....forgive my technology impairment! LOL! :-)

HI Diane,
Fact is that my knowledge of such matters is next to none!
I use PS Elements 10 and my kit ( Nikon P500 Bridge ) does not have the advantage of RAW. I would have thought that CC Photoshop / Lightroom 5 had the capability to download any pics that you required.
I am sure that Wall-E and others on the forum will be happy to advise. I will require the next 10 years to acquire the knowledge that these folk have.
Wishing you well,
Mike.

Answer is YES, still on your Computer. Ed.

To each his own!

(Mar 15, 2014, 02:40)EdMak Wrote:  Answer is YES, still on your Computer. Ed.

Thank You Ed and Mike!!!! :-)

Diane, another imaging software package, which can be used at a simple or an advanced level, is Corel PaintShop Pro, and it is not expensive (£35 at Amazon). It was used to make this image, by using the various colour editing tools selectively on different areas of your posted image:

Philip

(Mar 16, 2014, 00:35)MrB Wrote:  Diane, another imaging software package, which can be used at a simple or an advanced level, is Corel PaintShop Pro, and it is not expensive (£35 at Amazon). It was used to make this image, by using the various colour editing tools selectively on different areas of your posted image:

Philip

Wow what a difference in the Red Rocks. Thanks Phillip!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EnglishBob
Apr 1, 2019, 21:52
Last Post by Phil J
Jun 29, 2015, 07:47
Last Post by shuttertalk
Jan 26, 2009, 18:10