Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Snowbirds

These are the Snowbirds, the Canadian Air Force's acrobatics team.

[Image: matthewpiers2007-9024398-websm.jpg]

Officially known as the 431 Air Demonstration Squadron, they fly in perfect and ever-changing formation through numerous maneuvers.

[Image: matthewpiers2007-9024528-websm.jpg]

But when they're performing, keep count: if there's less than nine in formation, you're in for a surprise soon.

[Image: matthewpiers2007-9024499-websm.jpg]

The snowbirds also perform singly, in pairs, and occasionally four at a time.

[Image: matthewpiers2007-9024555-websm.jpg]

But at the end of their forty-minute show, they like to regroup for one last pass.

[Image: matthewpiers2007-9024557-websm.jpg]

And then they're gone.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

The second and the last are my favourites - the grain adds a kind of grunginess to the pictures that suits the industrial backdrop.

Canon stuff.

Nice work, M. I have one almost exactly like #2. That powerdive must be a Snowbirds standard....

I've loved watching the Snowbirds since I was a kid. Great shots. I have a couple from the CNE Airshow as well, will try and post them later.

"A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of." – Ogden Nash

Thanks everyone. These were taken under miserable conditions, with a bright sun almost directly behind the planes and a brown haze over the horizon. Converting them to the grainy duotone was the only way to salvage the final shot, which in turn was the reason for the series. I do have some "normal" pictures of them against a blue sky with better light, but didn't have any real reason to pursue them.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Janika
Jun 23, 2006, 07:01