Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Some new photos from my bad circle of photographing

Hi there!

I'm new here. I am a simple 19 (almost 20) year old guy from Sweden who planning to be a big photographer some day. The road is long but someday I will be there. Smile Just wanted to show some new photo's that I'm pretty pleased with - although. What do you think?

Photo 1-3 is all from a graveyard.

[Image: kyrk1.jpg]
[Image: kyrk2.jpg]
[Image: kyrk3.jpg]

4 - Our neighbour. Funny man who always have something exciting to tell us about.
[Image: p1.jpg]

5 - My old man. One of these few moments I actually succeed to caught him. Worth to celebrate.
[Image: b1.jpg]

I'm in bad circle, since about a year ago I just think all photographs I managed to take was just junk. Two months ago I purchased a new photogear - and since then I almost feel worse. I need to get rid of this feelings that hang over me, so all constructive critique is very appreciated. Thanks. Smile

Gardell:

We are all our own worst critics. I get in those creative slumps all the time. From my perspective, I think what I am seeing here shows real talent.

#1 and #3 in my opionion are particulalry strong. The composition and subject content in #3 are superb, and I really like your sense of color. #2 also works, and actually has better composition than #1 and a great vertical feel, but I really like the post processing on #1 - so I single it out as a favorite.

Welcome to Shuttertalk.

Best
Toad

Hi Gardell, and welcome!

1. I think this photo is a little too dark, but it evokes a sombre feeling well with the glow/misty effect.
2. Compositionally I like this photo better
3. The light and atmosphere are lovely and I like the expression on the mans face, it looks like a beautiful setting.
4. There doesn't seem to be very much light for you to work with here, and there is a yellow tinge to this photo as well. But this photo is well composed and you've captured the character in your subjects face well I think.
5. Again, well composed and you did well not to let the reflection in his glasses detract from his eyes. All your photos are nice and sharp too.

I'm sorry I don't have more to critique Sad

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

The backgrounds of the portraits are too busiy and the lighting too spotty. It makes them look like snapshots. My advice is to use post process software to blur or diminish background elements. I love the northern murkiness in the first two shots. There's no doubt you have the talent.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

A quick note - this is the Photo Showcase forum and not the Critiques forum.

Hi Gardell! and welcome!

#3 #5 works quite well.

They look a bit dirty and raw. Dunno know if that was intentional or not. It works for me nevertheless.

Thanx for sharing.

/P.L

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

Hey Gardell,

Welcome to shuttertalk. Smile

I really like these shots and the emotive content in them. And the "dirty and raw" look that Paul mentioned about is just beautiful I think.

For me, a good photograph is one that doesn't just hold your interest while you are looking at it but also keeps you thinking about it after you stand up and walk away. For me, I couldn't get the thought of shots 4 and 5 out of my head long after I'd closed my web browser. There is something special about both of them.

With #4 the vignetting of the light, the yellowish harsh tinge, the aging wallpaper and the pattern of the couch all just work beautifully together with the character in the face of your neighbour - it's not flattering, but all those elements add character to a man who I'm sure has a lot of interesting stories to tell. My only suggestion with that shot would be that it would improve if his eyes were a bit more lively. If there was a catchlight to add some sparkle to them, or even if he'd have opened them a bit more or maybe even changed his expression a little I think it really would've improved it... But that's a minor thing, I still love it anyway.

And #5 also really works for me as an honest but non-flattering portrait of your old man. The stubble and expression he has make it look like he's just got out of bed and he's a bit grumpy that you are taking photos of him, but there is also a real softness beneath the surface here that seems to come through as well. The close crop (and not using a tele lens) gives it an intimacy that brings in and holds the viewer close, and you've done a wonderful job with his eyes here which I think is the key to that underlying gentleness. The light also really works well, on the one hand it looks to be taken quite close and has a harsh look about the flash being the only light source, but on the other hand it treats his face and eyes with a delicacy that is wonderful - no detail is lost, no blow-outs, no harsh reflections on his glasses.. it all works well.

I'm not sure how intentional all these things were when you took the shots or if the whole thing just happened to come together, but intentional or not you've obviously picked this lot as some of your favourites for a reason... and I'm just looking for the reasons why I like them too. Smile

I do also like your first three images above, and pretty much agree with what others have said about them.. but #4 and #5 are my favourites and they seemed to have been glossed over a little bit by the others so I thought I should concentrate on them.

Its good to see some different styles of photography popping up. I'm not saying that everyone here shoots the same kind of shots, just that the more variety we can get in here the better. If this is representative of your work then I guess we can expect some dark, moody, gritty work from you... and I can't wait to see it. Big Grin

Cheers
Adrian

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

On second look, the portraits are very good. I must have been tired. I have no idea why I critiqued the background.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

I love the real raw emotion in the pics... there is so much character behind the faces in those shots. I don't know why you would be feeling bad about your shots - I think they're superb!

Welcome to Shuttertalk, by the way! Big Grin

Thanks for all comments. I'm sorry - I did realise I have posted in wrong forum, but it was too late.

#1 is a little dark, I know. But I felt it actually was ment to be a little dark, that feeling of #1 that #2 does not have.

#3 Could have use for... what's the word? :/ Shorter.. dah, more blur in the background.. thingie.. (sorry for my bad english).

In #4 I used the built-in flash, the light is a little hard..

In #5 I used an old external flash, not *that* good, but works better then the built-in flash though.

Thanks for your words, I'm flattered. I'll keep posting. Smile

Welcome Gardell! It's always good to see different ways of shooting. I think you have a natural eye..I think that low-key light and feel is really enchanting; good to have you aboard.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Hi Gardell, I think you are being way to harsh to your own work, you have some great stuff here.

I'd recommend finding a local camera club or something similar where you can get feedback from a neutral party to get other people to judge your work.

Welcome to Shuttertalk.

Number 3 is really superb and I like number 4 next - really gritty feel.

I also like the first two - but they don't have the same emotive feel as the 3 and 4.

Canon stuff.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post