Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Something New.

Just treated myself to my first ever DSLR. My " Bridge " enjoying retirement. Lots to learn and an handbook the size of the " Encyclopedia Britannica ". This pic is an attempt at something that I have never done before : Close-up.
Nikon D3300 with kit lens ( AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6 G VR11 )
1/250 @ f/8, ISO 400, 48mm. VR Off, Tripod. Close - up Mode.

[Image: normal_Copy_File.jpg]

Off to a good start Mike,next time, a wee bit more room at the top, to include all the flower. Ed.

To each his own!

Thanks Ed, excellent tip. No doubt you would have no problem getting rid of the two leaves to the left of the shot, which I find somewhat intrusive.
My next move is to attempt Aperture Priority to practice DOF.
Regards,
Mike.

Fantastic shot!!! Really nice!

Many thanks Jeff.
For those that may be interested the shot is of the flower of a Bush Fuchsia which just happens to be in the car park to my flat.
Mike.

Nice shot, Mike, and I would clone out the sharp petal at the top left.

I don't understand Close-Up Mode. Presumably you can only get as close as the nearest focus distance of your lens, which would probably make a fuchsia flower less than a quarter of the image from a standard zoom. So is the D3300 cropping the central area of the frame to make the subject look bigger?

Cheers.
Philip

Hi Philip,
This is a touch technical for me. Close - up is obtained on the mode dial and the D3300 optimises settings to suit. My understanding is that close - up is for close - up shots of flowers, insects etc. This would not qualify as Macro. For that a Macro lens, or Macro capable lens, would be required. Minimum focus distance for the kit lens is : AF - 0.28m from focal plane at all zoom positions.
MF - 0.25m from focal plane at all zoom positions.
As for cropping, I did that in Elements.
Hope this helps,
Mike

Mike, I remember that my first close up attempt, was consigned to the bucket by my boss. Macro is a bandied word now, I always took it to mean one to one. A SLR feature in the 60/70's was to buy a Lens reversing ring, enabling the lens to be fitted front inwards, results were excellent, although a piece of plasticine, or similar, was needed to hold the diaphragm pin in ,so aperture could be selected, if not, then all pics were taken at full aperture. Ed.

To each his own!

Fascinating information Ed. I feel fortunate that I have life easier.
Mike.

(Sep 28, 2014, 07:30)Browser Mike Wrote:  Hi Philip,
This is a touch technical for me. Close - up is obtained on the mode dial and the D3300 optimises settings to suit. My understanding is that close - up is for close - up shots of flowers, insects etc. This would not qualify as Macro. For that a Macro lens, or Macro capable lens, would be required. Minimum focus distance for the kit lens is : AF - 0.28m from focal plane at all zoom positions.
MF - 0.25m from focal plane at all zoom positions.
As for cropping, I did that in Elements.
Hope this helps,
Mike

Thanks for that, Mike. I thought that was how it would work, but I was puzzled as to how the flower filled the frame of a kit lens shot - and your last bit explains that! Smile

Cheers.
Philip

Hi Mike,

Like you, I've just discovered close-up photography and it's certainly opening up all sorts of opportunities, usually without having to leave home! I particularly liked the background to your photo, which is the aspect of shooting close that I find quite hard to predict or control. It feels like there's a fine line between a background that enhances and one that distracts. I took this photo a couple of days ago and I'll leave you to judge whether you think the background works.

Rob

The background works for me, Rob, because of the way you have composed the shot - the main subject is in the context of a tree full of fruit, and I like the way that the out-of-focus apples surround the one in focus.

Cheers.
Philip

Hi Rob,
Thanks for the comment. Truth is that the camera gave me the background. It was shot in close-up mode. I then sharpened and cropped to give something that I found acceptable. Sadly, I am not yet proficient enough to clone out the leaves to the left of the shot.
This proved to me that the camera can " take " a picture, but to progress further I need to use Aperture Priority and learn about DOF. With a bit of luck, and help from the Forum, I may one day " make " a picture.
I like your shot of the apple, and would be happy with the background.
One thing however. It is very useful if you could put the camera/EXIF data with the shot. The experienced members on the forum use this info to help and advise.
Best Wishes,
Mike,

(Sep 30, 2014, 03:24)MrB Wrote:  The background works for me, Rob, because of the way you have composed the shot - the main subject is in the context of a tree full of fruit, and I like the way that the out-of-focus apples surround the one in focus.

Cheers.
Philip

Thanks a lot Philip. It's really helpful to hear the logic for why the background worked for you.

Mike, you've sent me rushing to Google to find out the meaning of EXIF data!

My apple photo was taken with a Nikon D700 set at ISO640 (it was a dull breezy day), 105mm, f8, 1/80sec.

Thanks for the guidance.

Rob

(Sep 28, 2014, 05:57)Browser Mike Wrote:  Thanks Ed, excellent tip. No doubt you would have no problem getting rid of the two leaves to the left of the shot, which I find somewhat intrusive.
My next move is to attempt Aperture Priority to practice DOF.
Regards,
Mike.

A pair of scissors, Mike. and not joking.
Dean

No worry, Dean, I'm not laughing.
The shot of the individual flower was cropped from the original shot of a larger area of the bush. Apart from that, the bush is not my property.
Thanks anyway,
Mike.