Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Something a bit new for me - Sketching in photoshop

I bought myself a cheapie graphics tablet the other day (a Manhattan 6"x8" tablet). Overall I'm very happy with it, but it does take a bit of getting used to after years of photoshopping with a mouse. I love the pressure-sensitivity, but it's still not as natural as drawing with a pencil... yet.

I was using it to experiment with some post processing on a recent duck photo (see this thread to see the photo), and I got a bit carried away and ended up creating something completely new. Although it was sketched "over" a photo, there isn't any of the original photo visible any more.

[Image: A1513_Crop_Illustrated_v4.jpg]

What do you think? It was a lot of fun drawing it, but it certainly has faults. I'm not 100% convinced the water-splash texture overlay works as well as I'd like it to, and my drawing skills certainly have room for improvement too. But as a quick sketch and an exercise in using a new drawing tool I was quite happy with it.
It also felt like a breath of fresh air using photoshop for something different.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Very nice work on this one Kombi. I like the colors, and to me the water gives beautiful texture. I like it a lot!

I like a lot your composition in this format as well. The black strokes work very nice too.

The only think I see is that the light color of the beak, kind of pink is a bit too bright/saturated, and from the eye of the duck I go again and again to see the beak...

Congrats on your new tablet... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Great job!

I really like it. It looks like a fun image to have made, and it's certainly different.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I like this sort of multimedia work - always adds a new perspective to the subject. The splash texture seems to tie in nicely with your duck series.

I love it - kind of cartoonish almost.

Canon stuff.

I like it. I think the water drops work fine, ducks/water, they go together. The sketching is good too. It restores the duck to prominence. I'd put a black border around it but then I'm fond of borders.

ADK Jim

Thanks for the feedback folks. You're dead right Toad, it does add a new perspective to the subject. It really made me think about it differently while I was doing it, which can only be a good thing.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Wow, this is really cool! I really like how you've taken a photo and transformed it into something completely new and different - with fantastic results too. Big Grin

Sign your name in a corner and I'll probably buy it and hang it on my wall Big Grin

That really has potential. You have yourself a new art form.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by kNox
Jul 15, 2013, 01:52