Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Spanish Missions Visit

Dating back to Spanish Colonial times, our five Missions in San Antonio were the centers of life in the early days of this city.
While the outer fortress walls are in ruins or missing at some, Mission San Jose's are intact and the Alamo still has some despite it's downtown location.

On this day, we visited San Juan and Espada, the two furthest from the city.
Their churches are by far the smallest, but like the others still hold services every Sunday plus weddings and quinceaneras. (Except the Alamo--it's chapel is now the Shrine Of Texas Liberty due to the famous bloodbath).

Because the skies were so variable yet interesting in every direction, from high clouds to threatening storms, sunny to shaded, I decided to shoot in infrared all day to make the most of conditions.

Mission San Juan:
[Image: kak.missionsanjuan1.jpg]

[Image: kak.missionsanjuan2.jpg]

[Image: kak.missionsanjuan3.jpg]

Mission Espada:
[Image: kak.missionespada1.jpg]

[Image: kak.missionespada2.jpg]

[Image: kak.missionespada3.jpg]

Lovely! A little dark on my monny, but really nice: how much did the conversion to IR cost, roughly, Keith btw? (Am assuming these aren't emulsion/film of course)

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

My camera didn't need conversion.
The older Sony F-Series, V-Series, and the current H9 and H50 can swing the IR-blocking "Hot Mirror" away from the sensor with the flick of a switch. It's meant for night vision, but if you add an IR filter and some ND filters you can shoot IR in the daylight.
Aperture is locked wide-open, and shutter speeds are long (1/8--1/60 in my case) but it works.

I love these Keith. The composition is beautiful.

Canon stuff.

Beautiful, impressive. The IR is great for this place. love it.

Uli

Keith your pictures of this Mision are beautiful... This looks so Mexican. I love it! I can image how this place looks in a wedding day.

I have to say however, that I am missing somehow the colors, specially in the first picture, because of the green of the nopales. The facade of the church is so typical, and also reminds me that Walt Disney's movie where the houses had faces. Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Sep 28, 2016, 16:50
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Aug 4, 2015, 06:27