Spring Poppies.

California Golden Poppies.

[Image: normal_California%20Poppy.jpg]

[Image: normal_California%20Poppy%20%232.jpg]

Beautiful shots, the flowers are a beautiful colour. Smile

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

#1 I like a lot to see all edges of the flower sharp and you can see the stamens sharp as well.. However, I find the background a bit too cluterd and there isn't a clear separation between the flower and the background since the flower is yellow and the green of the grass has also a yellow hue.

#2 I like it. I think in this one your flower stands out more, because the background is more blurred and there is more orange involved there.

Sometimes I handle different adjustment layers in my flower pictures, one for the background and one for the flower, in this case I would work my color balance in the grass, and make it a bit cooler or desaturate it a bit, and the flower in another one. I know those flowers are very colorful, they have a beautiful gradient from yellow to red/orange... Because of this I would try to remove the yellow hue from the grass.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Yeah, I shot them at sunset to increase the yellows in teh flowers, of course it also does the same for the grass.

I like the lighting Craig. Poppies always seem to be happy flowers.

Sharon Smile

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

amazing colos! looks like morning light, very soft and nice.

do you intentionally add the vignetting? Personally I don't really like that toom much...

uli

Thanks for the comments, yes Uli, I deliberately added the Vignetting to make the flowers pop more...not sure I like it now either! There was certainly no natural vignetting.... left $5000 worth of gear at home and shot these with a $150 4mp point and shoot LOL.

I think those flowers don't really need the help of artificial vignetting, their colors are so bright and vivid. Good job!
Once again a proof to the saying, it's not the camera that takes the picture, it's the person behind it.

Smile

Nice Craig! The colours are wonderfully bright. Is the first one supposed to be rotated? Smile

Thanks Smile

No, the roatation is correct, however they were growing on a hillside that is all but vertical in places.

Nice colours, they look almost like thin card.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Great shots. I prefer no.2. Great vibrant colours although I would have moved slightly higher to capture a little more of the inside of the flower.

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” - Helmut Newton.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EnglishBob
Jun 13, 2017, 01:29
Last Post by RobertMurariu
Apr 11, 2017, 09:25