Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Spring flowers in Zig's garden: contrejour in a hurry...

35mm, wide open at f2.8, is not the strongest feature of the 16-35: it's not that sort of lens.
I've really chosen the "wrong" lens for these sort of shots: the Tamron would have been better in many ways....
....and yet:
1. The 16-35 and me seem to have bonded and separation would only be achieved by anaesthetic;
2. Light was fading and I had to be quick and hand-held to get the right feel;
3.AND..there is something about this lens that treats colour and contrast in a totally different way than my others.

All, then, are at 35mm f2.8. Would you believe that this saturation is "natural"? In fact, I had to dial down the saturation and the contrast in the raw to jpeg conversion. The Tamron macro would have been sharper...but then I'd have had to have the tripod and I didn't have time; also, it would not have captured the light or have the same background texture.

This is Fritilaria Meleagris, the Snake's Head Fritillary:

[Image: 21-frit2WEB.jpg]

This is our native bluebell...or rather the hybridized Spanish version that is smothering our own: (I dunno, immigration!Wink)

[Image: 27-bells%20smallWEB.jpg]

These are Dicentra Spectabilis: Bleeding Hearts is one name for them. We had a bit of snow earlier in the day, which melted and left drops of water on the flowers.

[Image: 38-heartsWEB.jpg]

[Image: 47-heartWEB.jpg]

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

For the "wrong lens" these pictures have turned out very well, IMO. The DOF and the bokeh is lovely. The colors are indeed amazing. I could imagine being bonded to a lens like this... Smile

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

beautiful bokeh and compositions! nice work.

uli

Just taking a moment to see what I’ve missed here in the last month or so. These are beautiful shots! I’ve never seen a Snake's Head Fritillary – it’s lovely. The Bleeding Hearts are my favorite, though.

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." ~ Dorothea Lange

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Dec 13, 2017, 15:50
Last Post by GrahamS
Nov 1, 2017, 03:56
Last Post by EnglishBob
Aug 27, 2017, 10:08