Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stable camera platform... need one?

I don't know if any members are into video in the newer versions of dslr cameras.
They have been around for a while and lots of people have adapted their cameras for video. I've attached some images of my second attempt to make a stable hand held camera platform for video.
The aim is to be able to walk around and have the camera steady. Not so easy if you've tried. Video can be quite interesting when the camera is on the move.

I have used my stabilizer for videos as in: Outdoors walking around gardens, while walking up stairs, for walk through interiors of homes for sale.
(not practiced by uk photographers)
Fairly wide angle lenses are mostly used. They provide the best depth of field without having to refocus.
This stabilizer is at the end of its life and i'm making a simpler even better one based on a standard mono-pod and a weighted attachment that Velcros on.
Displayed gizmo is made of common aluminum extrusion (i scrounge alloy scrap bins)
Weights are common ones sold to divers and most of it is held together by common rubber o rings purchased at hardware store.

Weights are a problem when flying. I usually have them in my coat pockets to relieve baggage weight. I also used the canon xf100 video on this platform quite successfully.
Maybe other members have made similar gizmos.. Would like to hear from you if you have. jim t

Attached Files Image(s)

Couple more pics as couldn't upload them with others ....
how the legs slide out and lock using common o rings and weights held on with o rings . Two screws in the weights hold then in correct position. jim t

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks for sharing! So, I am assuming this has worked out well for you. What are your pointers in creating something like this to help those who are into videography or the like?

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post