Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Steel Wheel

Freight car on an industrial spur track:
[Image: kak.steelwheel.jpg]

Interesting perspective, Have you tried it in black & white?

We don't make mistakes, We make discoveries!

No.
I was shooting a lot of IR that day, so I wanted something in color to balance things out.

It's an interesting lesson about white balance, since I've got nice late-afternoon sun on the foreground and shadowed white walls in back looking awfully blue.
Cloudy WB would have taken care of the wall but totally jacked the subject and grass.

It's not often that shadow areas are so brightly lit as to cause WB problems.
I fixed it in post on one version but didn't like it.

I was going to comment before Keith. I like it a lot. A good perspective and nice and sharp. The wheel sort of hits you at the end of the line.
Strangely for someone who said he didnt like straggly OOF bits in the foreground and used a knife..........Mmmmh Wink
I tried with the funicular a couple of years ago, but could not get a stable platform for my camera. I can't always take a tripod on coach trips.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

NT73: I think I said 'passing in front of the subject'.
But yeah, some of the grass bugs me in this one but not enough to clone it out.

I was not criticising Keith, just making a funny. Big Grin You can't go round everywhere with a lawnmower.Tongue
I like it fuzzy grass and all.
Like I said, you are drawn down the track to the wheel and everything else is window dressing. (Kind of)
30 years ago we had trains with maybe a 100 (freight cars) passing nearby on a regular basis.
Coal sticking up from closed sided wagons and timber lying on flatbeds plus other types of containers and always at the rear a guards van. Nowadays we get a 2 carriage passenger diesel train, and not a lot of anything else. Oh for the good old days.Wink

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by johnytrout
Jan 4, 2015, 13:24
Last Post by Toad
Apr 15, 2009, 11:06