Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Still life Light and Dark

I'm learning, of course, but I am interested in light, dark, and reflections. Playing with stilllifes and did this with Gimp2. Would like constructive critique, because I'm only using my "artistic eye", which not everyone shares the same perspective on stuff like this.

Attached Files Image(s)

The main thing affecting this image for me is the competition/clash between the red of the still-life and the maroon/purple of the background. I think making the background black or shades of very dark grey would help.

Cheers.
Philip

(Nov 3, 2014, 12:59)MrB Wrote:  The main thing affecting this image for me is the competition/clash between the red of the still-life and the maroon/purple of the background. I think making the background black or shades of very dark grey would help.

Cheers.
Philip

Hello Philip,
Thanks for the response/critique, I value other perspectives. On that note, I did have the black background, but there are only so many times one can use a black background before one looks for something different and interesting besides standard black/grey. I have a penchant for interesting shades and hues of color that are not standard. I do have an issue with the reflection in that there is a light anomaly on the fat part of the vase. Do you thinkit is too much reflection at that point?

My monitor, seems a bit overdone. The reflections are a bit intense. Ed.

To each his own!

(Nov 6, 2014, 09:08)EdMak Wrote:  My monitor, seems a bit overdone. The reflections are a bit intense. Ed.
Hi, Ed,
Thanks for the response. I love reflections, and I want to achieve a balance between "everyday", sometimes, and slightly off the wall, if you know what I mean, not following the perceived rules. By intense, do you mean the actual reflections themselves, or, the colors........................

Both, again, on my monitor, which is only calibrated via Photoshop. Ed.

To each his own!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Eddy Canon
Jan 14, 2016, 08:10
Last Post by Rolf
Jan 30, 2015, 18:34
Last Post by MrB
Nov 27, 2014, 14:47