Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Suggested settings for shooting hockey games in an arena

Can anyone give me any suggested settings to try when shooting a hockey game in an arena. The camera I will be using is a Canon T4i and a Tamron lense (18-270mm) plus tripod.

(Oct 28, 2013, 09:16)oneBonBon Wrote:  Can anyone give me any suggested settings to try when shooting a hockey game in an arena. The camera I will be using is a Canon T4i and a Tamron lense (18-270mm) plus tripod.

Having shot a bunch of volleyball, I can say first off that the tripod will be useless.
It takes up way too much room, and you won't be able to move the camera fast enough.
A monopod would be much better.
I started out using a cheap walking stick/gun steady;

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-S...l+Products

Other sports stores will have similar products.

The part on top unscrews and there's a stud that will screw into the tripod socket of your camera.

Shoot aperture priority, wide open.
With an ISO high enough so you can get shutter speeds of 1/500 or faster.
And turn OFF the VC (vibration control). You'll be shooting fast enough that it won't be helpful.
Single point focus, and Servo AI so the focus will follow your subject.
If you can, try to shoot from just off to one side of one of the goals.
If you can figure out how to do a custom white balance, do that AT THE RINK.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

I agree with Wall-E. Expressions on goalies face are always worth looking out for. Also, shoot in RAW and put White balance on Auto. You can make any corrections post capture.

If shooting continuous, then RAW will perhaps limit the amount taken, buffering comes into this. Speak from experience! Got caught out. Ed.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post