Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tamron 70-300mm Lens

I have been exploring the macro functionality of my new lens.

I think a tripod may be a good idea when I take it out next - not as sharp as I'd have liked them to be.

[Image: b1.jpg]

[Image: b2.jpg]

Nikon F55, Pentax K100D, Panasonic Lumix FZ20, Olympus OM1.
Darkroom Dweller.

Allllrightythen Big Grin
Just to get an idea, could you kindly tell us what aperture and focal length here please Bish?

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Going by the file data;

Focal Length 180mm
Exposure Time 1/180
F-Number 6.7

Nikon F55, Pentax K100D, Panasonic Lumix FZ20, Olympus OM1.
Darkroom Dweller.

On the assumption that you are using the Tamron 70-300 L Macro,
Not a long enough exposure for hand held at 180 mm.
There is a guide somewhere but it is more than that..
At 300mm f5.6 is the widest aperture so f6.7 is pretty wide, giving you a very narrow DOF.
Take it to f11+ and try again.
Having said that I tend to shoot relative to the amount of light available, which is never enough.

Just had a quick read on canon forums, and although the general consensus is multiply by the 'crop' factor,
It seems to depend on the steadiness of the photographers hand.

Quote= Canon forum>>>So take your camera and lenses out to a place where you can get good light, clear objects to focus on, and try that 300mm lens at all the shutter speeds you want. You'll find out what YOUR rule of thumb is. You might find that you need to do 1/fl + 1 (one speed setting faster than 1/fl) or even +2 or +3. You might find you can do 1/fl -1 or -2 or -3. Only you will be able to decide appropriately. <<<<unquote.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Vanisle John
Oct 15, 2016, 10:53
Last Post by caveman
Mar 1, 2016, 09:22
Last Post by Jeffbridge
Feb 17, 2016, 02:50