Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tasha + High Pass Sharpening

After loading the Wasia hack I decided to start shooting raw on a regular basis. Here is Tasha taken at 1600iso, 50mm 1/80 sec, f1.8
Not much really done here. Just a crop, saturated colour a touch and high pass sharpening.

[Image: CRW_2041.jpg]

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Awesome portrait of Tasha, Colin! And at ISO 1600! :o

I think one of these years I'll have to change over to Canon. My D70 at 1600 is much too noisy.

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

So beautiful eyes of Tasha. Great colors and background in your picture Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Thanks you two. I should have tried 3200iso for the sake of trying. Next time. Smile

My flickr images

Colin, I wanted to ask you if there is a special reason why you used the high pass filter and not something else.

Paul Cezanne

Irma Wrote:Colin, I wanted to ask you if there is a special reason why you used the high pass filter and not something else.

I like it because I feel like I have more control over it. I like the results more than with regular sharpening. Have you tried it?

I felt that I must come back and edit this post.

To answer your question more thoroughly, the high pass method concentrates on sharpening the edges more whereas unsharp mask sharpens everything. I've just been reading a tutorial at Luminous Landscape that goes through the processes for "Smart Sharpening" There is an action available but I think it would be most beneficial to learn it myself. Reading this was just a confirmation of what I already thought. I've just been using the high pass method for so long I almost forgot why I used it. Ever since I saw a mpeg tutorial on High pass/overlay sharpening. The highpass method mention on LL is highpass/hard light. However, I've never tried anything but the overlay function.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutori...harp.shtml

My flickr images

I read also the tutorial highpass/hard light, and it has improved a lot my landscape pictures. In certain light conditions my pictures turn out a bit noisy, that is why I asked you why you worked with it in Tasha's picture, I thought it was mainly for landscape pictures. Now with your explanation and the link you gave me I understood better. Thanks for the link. Smile

Paul Cezanne

Hey I split this topic out of the Lucky again thread, as I thought it has some interesting discussion. Big Grin

For a more subtle effect, high pass sharpening can also be used with Soft Light (as well as Hard Light and Overlay as Peto mentioned).

Interestingly, in her Photoshop book, guru Katrin Eismann says that when other sharpening methods fail her, she ends up using the high pass method ... which leads you to wonder why she doesn't use that one first. :/

However, for the utmost in control, I do recommend the Focal Blade plug-in.

Thanks Mitch that you mentioned that about the soft light...... I've been using the high pass all the time with soft light. As my program is in German sometimes I have mistakes like that one because of vocabulary... I have made an example with crop of one of my pictures where I used soft light, I just changed to hard light and there is a difference..

Thanks again for the plug in, I will try it. Smile

soft light[Image: P1040410houseandlakesoftlig.jpg] hard light[Image: P1040410houseandlakehardlig.jpg]

Paul Cezanne

Where is thae plug in?

--Don

(beautiful photo peto and beautiful photo Irma).

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Thanks Don. The link was added to the bottom of Mitch's review.
http://thepluginsite.com/products/photowiz/focalblade/

My flickr images

Thanks Don Smile

Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Nov 23, 2014, 03:11