Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Texture of the Sound

[Image: watertexture2BWSM.jpg]

[Image: watertextureSM.jpg]

Took these with the Nikon Coolpix 5600. Tried to emphasize texture with a high contrast monochrome presentation.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

(Aug 22, 2011, 08:35)Don Schaeffer Wrote:  [Image: watertexture2BWSM.jpg]

[Image: watertextureSM.jpg]

Took these with the Nikon Coolpix 5600. Tried to emphasize texture with a high contrast monochrome presentation.

A not so interesting photo will seldom make a good one after post processing, and I feel that this is the case. I like the title though, and I apreciate the initiative.

Don,

I like the photos - I think they give the viewer two different feelings depending on which one you are viewing. The second one to me shows more texture, but after looking at it a few minutes it becomes "very busy."

I am not a professional at critiquing but wanted to say that I enjoyed them, especially the first one. Thank you for sharing with us!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

I also wanted to add the visual impact of the first photo is stronger for me. I really like how the photo is divided at an angle. To me, this adds to the actual sense of the photo.

I also like how the photo was cropped (for me personally) as well as how you see a larger wave in the lower left hand corner - to me this also gives some depth to the view.

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Thnks vlad and Barbara

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Great title and the idea Smile

(Aug 22, 2011, 08:35)Don Schaeffer Wrote:  [Image: watertexture2BWSM.jpg]

I'd love to see how sounds would look like in color and cropped to water and buoys only.

Out of your two photos I prefer #1 image.The very first sight of the image made me a bit uncomfortable, because I read the title and your attempt to introduce texture later on. My initial thoughts were about the seemingly high noise. I admire your creativity behind introducing the texture to convey the robust sound of the waves, however after the post processing the image has turned to become a photo illustration rather than an actual photograph.Its somewhere between a photograph and a painting to me, however you are free to do whatever you want with your own photos!

As for the photograph I liked your placing of the horizon , however placing it overlapping the line across the top 1/3 of the image would've been nice.It would've helped you placing the raft according to the rule of the thirds, so that it can attract the viewer immediately. I'd have even cropped the coast seeming to the bottom of the picture.That way viewer can sense the situation of a small raft in the deep dark ocean.

Since this is a manipulated photo, I'd have cloned the seeming dark patch of canopy, entirely to cover the skyline.That way your subject would gain further prominence in the frame. I'd have tried with several other black and white conversion techniques as well, because this look doesn't appeal to my taste really well.

Thanks Pinmollusc. It's just sharpening. I assure you the texture in the water is really there. I tried to bring it out.

I like the first one! The second one is okay too, but when put side by side the first one really stands out, I love the way it was composed. Also, as some of the others have said, the title is great!

Thanks Knox

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Phil J
Apr 17, 2016, 15:46
Last Post by EnglishBob
Sep 24, 2005, 23:44