Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The Font Challenge

Because it's almost Halloween I wanted to put a new header on the photoblog I maintain for my best band.
Here's what I produced last night with the help of some beer and cigars:
[Image: kak.fonts1.jpg]
We end up drinking a lot of free Jagermeister during our shows, the band's name is Bliss, a skull for October.

I don't have a good selection of fonts on my computer, nor any useful typesetting skills in Photoshop 7, and would like to see something better for the type/logo part.
Also, ideas, advice, links.

This is a version without type you can work from, if you're interested:
[Image: kak.fonts2.jpg]

Here's three examples which I'm posting so that I don't spend all day trying to create new variations... all of these are saved as layered files, so I can adjust, mix and match elements.

[Image: 375745931_wDqRk-XL.png]

[Image: 375745898_yksEm-X3.png]

[Image: 375745961_Wcp9g-X3.png]

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

The challenge was the font but I couldn't resist to use a bit of textures too. The font is Aliens Ate My Mum from 1001 fonts. I made a copy of the text layer and worked with the fiber filter then blend to soft light.

[Image: kak_fonts2iw.jpg]

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

After seeing Matthew's and Irma's, mine don't look too good. :/ Still you can have it anyway.

[Image: kak_fonts2%20copy.jpg]

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

All very nice.
Thanks!

I'm not so fond of the letterspacing on the "B-L" in the third (stone) one that I did. I'll redo it if it's one you like.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

We had a show tonight and everyone in the band loved the photo, but not so much my font (as I suspected).
But why would they be surprised to learn that I produced it myself instead of just compositing from 'found' elements on the web?

KeithAlanK Wrote:But why would they be surprised to learn that I produced it myself instead of just compositing from 'found' elements on the web?
Because they know you're a great sound engineer and can't imaging that you're equally talented in other areas?
(There's a prize involved in this challenge, right? Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin)

Irma, I like the idea of the texture, and NT, that's exactly the kind of font that I wanted, but my computer doesn't have.

I've fixed the letter spacing on the third one, and done a couple more as well:

[Image: 376209875_S3ZnC-X3.png]

If the letters cast a reflection, but nothing else does, does that make it seem spooky?

[Image: 376209831_B6iR7-X3.png]

And playing with shadows:

[Image: 376209855_dQKHi-X3.png]

The font is Cloister Black BT.
It is a windows font ( welI I just did it in works word processor) although I did it in Photoshop and added either bevels or drop shadow or both.
You could make it bigger and 'select',( the letters) 'stroke', 'select',( the centre of the letters) 'cut', and add texture from anywhere.
I have an early start in the morning so can't do much now.:|

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I downloaded some fonts in the correct .ttf format and put them in the correct Windows folder with all the others, but Photoshop isn't showing the new ones.
Any ideas of what I need to do to make this work?

It may not be showing the new ones, because they were not there when PS was installed. Plug in's? Irma may know.

Lumix LX5.

Keith you have to restart PS to see the new addition in the font menu.

Paul Cezanne

Irma--I did a computer re-start and then launched PS again.
The new fonts still didn't show up.

Any more ideas would be great because a few of the new fonts are much more rock & roll.

I'm going to use your edit on our website for a while, if you don't mind.
It's great to have you back!

BLISS

Thanks and of course I don't mind... Smile

I really wouldn't know what is the problem then. The font appears in Microsoft? If so, you could make a file in word, and save it as image, and then open it in photoshop and copy it as layer. I have never done it, but I think it might work.

Paul Cezanne

[Image: kak.jpg]

A bit late I know... but I'm home (sick on my days off!) and this helped pass some time.

Font - Mesquite Std.

BTW - I watched the 'Zombie' video from Hooligans - Very good!

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post