Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The Quiraing

The Quiraing on the Isle of Skye.
This scene has been photographed to death I know but I felt that adding some drama might make it a bit different from the run-of-the-mill scenes.
Not too everyone's taste but that quite neatly leaves the door open for some heavy criticism.
Canon SX40HS and Adobe Lightroom 5
[Image: Quiraing_zpseae1c8d3.jpg]

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed.”
Ansel Adams

What’s not to like!

Actually it does too heavy but it is something you did or just the scene that makes me want to hang this on my wall.Totally superb!!

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

(Oct 20, 2013, 02:50)PhotoPlay Wrote:  Actually it does too heavy but it is something you did or just the scene that makes me want to hang this on my wall.Totally superb!!
Thanks for your comment PhotoPlay. Here's the original image.
[Image: IMG_0910_zpse821beba.jpg]

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed.”
Ansel Adams

Got away with it, definitely. Topaz Filter, or what? Ed.

Oh man, Definitely love the way you treat that image. I 2nd Ed question Smile

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

(Oct 20, 2013, 06:43)PhotoPlay Wrote:  Oh man, Definitely love the way you treat that image. I 2nd Ed question Smile

RAW image developed in Lightroom 5 with an HDR preset and other tweaks.

Ansel Adams

(Oct 19, 2013, 09:19)James Tate Wrote:  The Quiraing on the Isle of Skye.
This scene has been photographed to death I know but I felt that adding some drama might make it a bit different from the run-of-the-mill scenes.
Not too everyone's taste but that quite neatly leaves the door open for some heavy criticism.
Canon SX40HS and Adobe Lightroom 5
[Image: Quiraing_zpseae1c8d3.jpg]

Nice image. I like what you did to emphasize the clouds and add texture to the mountain. I think the color distortion doesn't help though.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

I'm not normally a fan of heavy duty manipulation in Photoshop/Lightroom etc. I feel that there is a real danger of moving away from pure photography into digital art for want of a better name.

However, in this case (I am familiar with the site and scene) I really like what you have done James! It's a very clean sharp image to start with and your adjustments have given a subject (that as you say yourself is done to death.) real drama. I'm with Photoplay on this one. I'd definitely give it space on my wall, well done you!

Happy Shooting people!

Regards
Keith

Thank you Keith. If you're familiar with the location you'll know there are probably a million + photographs of that very view.
In cases like these I'll go with Ansel Adams view that you should create an image that depicts what you feel a scene is saying to you.

Ansel Adams