Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Wood and water...

I've been working in this idea already for few weeks. Reflections, details, nature still life found in the forest, and now I am trying to put all together in little series. Here goes the first one. I hope you enjoy it... Smile

I was captivated by the simplicity of this picture. There isn't much going on, but I liked the subtle flow of the water. I tried to work with available colors and contrast in textures. I took a series of 10 images of this nature still I will show other version in other series.

[Image: IMG_3528-Edit.jpg]

The sun was hitting this branch in the lake. The idea of an alligator came immediately. I am pleased with the colors and textures in the water and the gradient light throughout the frame. I left the branch at the right corner as I didn't want to have the figure isolated.

[Image: IMG_3778-Edit.jpg]

The Volcano... Areal view, macro landscape... I found finally a piece that was intact with lots of detail. I cropped the reflection to balance. As I found my composition a little bit tight, (because the pond was too cluttered) I left the foam and bubbles to give some context.

[Image: IMG_2252-Edit.jpg]

Thanks so much for looking... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Great concept at work here - I think this idea has real potential. Things that catch my eye:

- the little patch of red in #1 - a subtle but natural focal point
- the little *alligator* entering the water in #2 and the composition
- The Volcano works on every level - a perfect miniature landscape.

Beautiful!

Thanks Toad for your comment... I am very happy you like my pictures Smile

Paul Cezanne

Kindred spirit, you see the small things. These are great.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

hello Irma

#1 - I always love the interplay between the cool and warm colors and often try to rig it so I get both. This is a great example of that. Simple and seemingly ordinary, yet pleasing and eye-catching once noticed- this defines your work, I think.
#2 - I immediately thought of a crocodilian as well. nice composition, although I would have taken the branch cut by the bottom frame out.
#3 - I would try to strengthen the volcano analogy by going BW and playing with local contrast.

Overall, I like these photos, but I was more thrilled by many of your other photos. It has to do with subject matter I think. All are of course technically strong and all have fine composition.

Take care Irma. see you soon.

Pavel

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

I missed to watch your photography dear Irma Smile Colours are always so impressive in your works, and fascinating. I loved what you did, thank you dear Irma,

with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

I really like #1, and enjoy the playfulness of #2.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Thanks for your comments... Smile

I am so happy that you liked my alligator...

When I show my pictures to my neighbors they always ask where I go to take pictures... They find interesting that we go to the same place and we see different things.

Pavel... I know what you mean about the branch in #2 the thing is that I need something to relate, something to make you think that the alligator is not swimming but just left the shore... Wink

yes, Pavel... see you soon... Smile

We will be meeting Pavel in Prague in few days... we are really looking forward to that... Smile

Paul Cezanne

I really do like the complementary colours in #1 and the almost metallic shine; excellent...and as usual, it's the "way of seeing" that captivates as much as the actual shot. The macro landie is excellent; it reminds me oddly of some exercises I've seen in ceramics and in textiles, where the scene has been a miniature representation of a garden or farmyard, and the way the textures scale down are as perfectly chosen.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Thanks very much Zig, for your comment... Smile
I've been working a lot with my colors, I find the theme fascinating.

Thanks for your comment frennyscott, and welcome to Shuttertalk. Smile

#1 and 2 were taken with a G9 and #3 with a 350D.

Paul Cezanne

This might be an odd thought, but when I had my 350D I found that going to ISO 1600 was fascinating for colours and textures in these sort of shots: yes, there was noise but that was the point, as there was a distinct softening of textures and tones that I found really worked.
I then used to convert to CMYK, do saturation changes there, before converting to jpeg: the CMYK colourspace I found brought out an almost metallic irridescence that often was quite pleasing....
...just a thought!
Also, I'm guessing that your trip with Pavel will be very soon: what an absolutely fascinating meeting of photographic minds, and I know you are both looking forward to it! I really hope you have an excellent time and you can share your thoughts and results on your return.

(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Thank you Zig for sharing your thoughts about your 350D and your post processing. I am enjoying taking pictures with this camera. It is great that you mention that you get good result with high ISO, I have to try. I am working at the moment with an idea that has been in "me" head already for many months. I do need my pictures noisy because the noise you add with PS filters is not so beautiful as the one you get from your camera.

My only problem is that I can't get my pictures sharp enough for my post processing. Maybe I will give another try with my 50 mm and high ISO and try to shoot f8 and 1/200 at least. That is why sometimes I take my pictures the G9.

We planned our meeting few months ago, and I can't wait... It has been so exciting to know that I will meet Pavel and we will visit that beautiful country... Wink

Thanks again so much Zig.

Paul Cezanne

My pleasure Irma.
I find that f5.6 is sharper than f8 with the 50mm...ah, but yet again I've just remembered I sold my f1.8 to Rufus and got a 1.4, so that might make a difference...! Smile

Everytime you return to the forum, you fetch something new. Well done Irma. Smile

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Love the last two Irma - great eye for detail.

Canon stuff.

Thanks NT, Chris for your comment... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Browser Mike
Sep 7, 2015, 11:49
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Jan 20, 2015, 11:36