Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The Sarcophagus of the Mourning Women

I was in Istanbul Archeology Museum yesterday and I took some pictures. They don't let to use, tripod and flash and also professional photography. But it was another experiement for me indoors, especially in museum. Istanbul Archeology Museum consists of three museums,

1) Archeologicsal Museum (main building)
2) Museum of the Ancient Orient and
3) the Museum of Islamic Art (Tiled Kiosk)

The site of the museums actually belonged to the Topkapı Palace outer gardens. The museum was founded by decree as the Imperial Museum. When it opened to the public in 1891, it was the first one to feature Turkish art. The first curator was Osman Hamdi Bey, who was also the founder of the museum. (He was also one of greatest painters too) Upon its 100th anniversary in 1991, the museum receieved the European Council Museum Award.

This gallery is one of my favurite ones, so impressive. I didn't want to leave there , the Alexander Sarcophagus and the Sarcophagus of the Mourning Women, both housed inside the museum. The museum is one of the prominent structures built in the neoclassical style in Istanbul. The Alexander Sarcophagus is one of the most famous items in the museum. This item and the Sarcophagus of Mourning women were retreived by Osman Hamdi, who was the museum founder and director, and brought to Istanbul in 1887.Both the Sarcophagus of Alexander, and the Sarcophagus of Mourning Women are from the 4th century B.C. and both are examples of Ionian architectural style, with all their elegance and artistic quality.The Sarcophagus of the Mourning Women, the facades are elaborated with bas-relief carvings of 18 women mourning, all in different form and figures. This Sarcophagus is assumed to be the tomb of King Straton of Sidon and the woman are thought to be from his harem. Looking at every sculpture of the women grieving around the sarcophagus you feel that they have lost someone special, a person loved by many women.

Alexander Sarcophagus

1)
[Image: IMG_1791ab.jpg]

2)
[Image: IMG_1798ab.jpg]

3)
[Image: IMG_1800ab.jpg]

and the Sarcophagus of the Mourning Women

4)
[Image: IMG_1769ab.jpg]

5)
[Image: IMG_1780ab.jpg]

6)
[Image: IMG_1772a.jpg]

and they are both, left Mourning Women and the other one Alexander

7)
[Image: IMG_1808ab.jpg]

Thank you,
Have a nice weekend,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Very nice. Wondeful carvings on the sides...

I like very much #6. I shows very beautiful detail.
Thanks for sharing nia... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Thank you Toad, and Irma, you are so nice,

have a nice weekend,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Nov 10, 2009, 18:02