Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The Sparrowhawk

Accipiter nisus - the Eurasian sparrowhawk. This was a quick shot through the window glass when I saw the sparrowhawk on the golden privet eyeing the neighbours bird bath and feeder. I tried opening the window for a clearer shot but it took to flight.
Thanfully 270mm is a sweet point on the zoom, so not too bad.

[Image: Sparrowhawk_zpsamkptbjl.jpg]

Model: NIKON D300
ExposureTime: 1/200"
Aperture: F13.0
MeteringMode: Multi-segment
Flash: No Flash
ISO: 400
FocalLength: 270.0 mm

Photography is a never-ending journey

Amazing Peter, you must have a good window cleaner, what is the average size of the Hawk?
Mark

(Feb 2, 2015, 07:24)Mark Stewart-Clarke Wrote:  Amazing Peter, you must have a good window cleaner, what is the average size of the Hawk?
Mark

Difficult to say Mark, Size of course varies by age and the female is always larger than the male. Adult females may attain a length of 30-40cm while a male approximately 30-35cm. This is a bit random and estimated from the tip of the beak to the tip of the tail.
Probably more accurate info on the WWW.

Peter

Good capture! f 13 also seems to be a sweet spot... clarity is very good to esp. hand held. Agree with Mark .. and if you ever damage a lens... send it to your window maker!! Smile

Is the bird the Male or Female? I don't think we have this species here... at least I have not seen one - yet!

Thanks for sharing

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Fab Peter, almost 3D! Ed.

To each his own!

(Feb 2, 2015, 11:26)Rolf Wrote:  Good capture! f 13 also seems to be a sweet spot... clarity is very good to esp. hand held. Agree with Mark .. and if you ever damage a lens... send it to your window maker!! Smile
Is the bird the Male or Female? I don't think we have this species here... at least I have not seen one - yet!
Thanks for sharing
Kind regards
Rolf

It is a mature or nearly mature male sparrowhawk, Rolf.
As far as I'm aware you don't have that particular species in Canada. As the name describes, it is indigenous to Europe and Asia.

Peter

He's beautiful!

(Feb 2, 2015, 05:59)Plantsman Wrote:  Accipiter nisus - the Eurasian sparrowhawk. This was a quick shot through the window glass when I saw the sparrowhawk on the golden privet eyeing the neighbours bird bath and feeder. I tried opening the window for a clearer shot but it took to flight.
Thanfully 270mm is a sweet point on the zoom, so not too bad.

[Image: Sparrowhawk_zpsamkptbjl.jpg]

Model: NIKON D300
ExposureTime: 1/200"
Aperture: F13.0
MeteringMode: Multi-segment
Flash: No Flash
ISO: 400
FocalLength: 270.0 mm