Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The Stone Shack

A very old and very small one-room house hidden in the woods.
It was built by hand from stones laying on the ground in the area.

[Image: kak.shack01.jpg]

The outside was lit by a powerful rechargeable spotlight diffused and dimmed with a sheet of paper.
13 second exposure to get the sky.
Two remotely triggered flashes inside the shack aimed at the windows.

[Image: kak.shack02.jpg]

Inside, it's a dark and scary place at night.
The cobwebs show the decades of neglect.
Single flash camera-right.

[Image: kak.shack03.jpg]

Even though I know the back door leads outside, there was no way I was going to open it.
25 second exposure using the spotlight through a window.

Someone has bought the property and is starting to restore this building so I had to shoot it now while I could still get inside.

I like the way the first one was illuminated, except for the dark shadow. Wish you cold get rid of that. It's almost worth cropping it out.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

I didn't much like the shadow either.
Not much you can do when there's a tree that close to the building, but I did move the light for a few exposures.

[Image: kak.shack04.jpg]

huh, great!
I was irritated by the shadow as well and wondering if you could have been shooting just parallel to the light rays
so as not to get the shadow in the picture, but dropping the shadow onto the illuminated window works just as well.

I find you got the red you better in no. 1 though, it is slightly more yellow, nice and warm.

Good work! Uli

wulinka Wrote:huh, great!

I find you got the red you better in no. 1 though, it is slightly more yellow, nice and warm.

Good work! Uli
I think it is a question of trying to get the colours you remember seeing at the time, rather than the colours you would like.
But sometimes it is the other way round.
Difficult choice. :/

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

That really does it-your moved perspective is much better imo.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by dewy
Jun 1, 2005, 06:40
Last Post by shuttertalk
Jan 28, 2005, 20:29