Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The buck and me.............

Have been walking in Hogtown Creek woods for a year and a half trying to catch a deer to photograph. It's hard to do when you walk with a pit bull who loves to chase deer............I walk with my camera at my chest holding it with the viewscreen open and my finger on the trigger (button). Cody was foraging to the right and this guy just stepped out in the path and stopped as if to say "Ok, you better get this one". I hit the zoom quick, and I got the shot (photo that is) on the first snap. If anyone knows what buck fever feels like, you'll know how I felt at that moment..............Enjoy everyone. These ones are hard to get. This is unretouched, straight shot, early morning lite.

Attached Files Image(s)

Well done in getting the shot! I do feel though that perhaps your excitement (or Cody's tugging for a shot at breakfast) has resulted in a rather soft focus? I don't know what camera you use, but can you move the focal point around as you frame? If you have that functionality, and you used spot metering from the main focus point and put that on the eye the shot may have benefitted in terms of focus.
I also think there is maybe 2/3EV over exposure? Possibly the metering points were all trying to give an average taken from a darker part of the Subject or background and gave you the resulting average which is a little too light?

I do understand about how hard Deer and especially Moose are to catch a glimpse of let alone have them hang around while you set up and take their portrait! I spend hours here in the wilds of Alberta and come home empty! You did well to spot the Deer and get the shot!

Thanks for the share

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Thanks for the critique Rolph. I have a Nikon Coolpix P600, and don't have a removable lens. I am really new at this, haven't learned all of what you are talking about. I am copying your text and will study it with my camera. I had it on autofocus and used the zoom. I sometimes play around with other focuses, but, I had about 30 seconds to get this before he bolted. I need to take a photography class that teaches about the cameras and what they do. I'm a real beginner at the age of 71. My new passion.....Oh, didn't mention that I went every day at 7:00 a.m. for a year and a half. Not just a few days............And the deer did me a favor and walked right in front of me.

(Jan 29, 2015, 11:23)Rolf Wrote:  Well done in getting the shot! I do feel though that perhaps your excitement (or Cody's tugging for a shot at breakfast) has resulted in a rather soft focus? I don't know what camera you use, but can you move the focal point around as you frame? If you have that functionality, and you used spot metering from the main focus point and put that on the eye the shot may have benefitted in terms of focus.
I also think there is maybe 2/3EV over exposure? Possibly the metering points were all trying to give an average taken from a darker part of the Subject or background and gave you the resulting average which is a little too light?

I do understand about how hard Deer and especially Moose are to catch a glimpse of let alone have them hang around while you set up and take their portrait! I spend hours here in the wilds of Alberta and come home empty! You did well to spot the Deer and get the shot!

Thanks for the share

Kind regards

Rolf

[quote='czkid' pid='99325' dateline='1422555198']

Thanks for the critique Rolph. I have a Nikon Coolpix P600, and don't have a removable lens. I am really new at this, haven't learned all of what you are talking about. I am copying your text and will study it with my camera. I had it on autofocus and used the zoom. I sometimes play around with other focuses, but, I had about 30 seconds to get this before he bolted. I need to take a photography class that teaches about the cameras and what they do. I'm a real beginner at the age of 71. My new passion.....Oh, didn't mention that I went every day at 7:00 a.m. for a year and a half. Not just a few days............And the deer did me a favor and walked right in front of me.

71? is that with the Tax or before?Smile The camera you have is a bridge - somewhere between an advanced point 'n shoot and a DSLR... so it looks like a DSLR and gets you thinking about getting one... I think you have about 16MP which is enough and I also seem to remember from reading about it you have a bird watching mode? You have also spot and centre weighted metering... I don't think you can shuffle the focal point around though... but you may be able to focus on the eye say, select focus lock and recompose before firing the shutter... if you can that should be explained in you hand book.

As for classes... you can learn all about your camera from the people who designed and made it... the owners manual... that's free with the camera. If you are unsure about terminology... Google it or even ask on here... many knowledgeable people here only too pleased to help. Most "classes" tell you stuff that is free on the internet which you can find yourself. If there is a Photographic club in your area - join it and get 1on 1 from the members... there are many other avenues to explore before you give your money away... :-)

Good luck and I wish you many years of fun with your camera and look forward to some more of your photos.

Kind regards

Rolf No PH ... Big Grin

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Hi Rolf, Well, you are right about my camera, and I am "inbetween" and now want to go to something more than what I have. I do have my owners manual, but, it is printed on newsprint paper, and very blurry and not well done. You know how that is. I've been on Youtube today and found some learning stuff. And we do have a photography club her in my town. I just need to go to it. Thanks for all your help, and I will be putting other stuff out there for critique, but, I'm learning to be very careful in working on my pieces. You all really catch everything! Pat

(Jan 29, 2015, 12:46)Rolf Wrote:  [quote='czkid' pid='99325' dateline='1422555198']

71? is that with the Tax or before?Smile The camera you have is a bridge - somewhere between an advanced point 'n shoot and a DSLR... so it looks like a DSLR and gets you thinking about getting one... I think you have about 16MP which is enough and I also seem to remember from reading about it you have a bird watching mode? You have also spot and centre weighted metering... I don't think you can shuffle the focal point around though... but you may be able to focus on the eye say, select focus lock and recompose before firing the shutter... if you can that should be explained in you hand book.

As for classes... you can learn all about your camera from the people who designed and made it... the owners manual... that's free with the camera. If you are unsure about terminology... Google it or even ask on here... many knowledgeable people here only too pleased to help. Most "classes" tell you stuff that is free on the internet which you can find yourself. If there is a Photographic club in your area - join it and get 1on 1 from the members... there are many other avenues to explore before you give your money away... :-)

Good luck and I wish you many years of fun with your camera and look forward to some more of your photos.

Kind regards

Rolf No PH ... Big Grin

(Jan 29, 2015, 15:55)czkid Wrote:  Hi Rolf, Well, you are right about my camera, and I am "inbetween" and now want to go to something more than what I have. I do have my owners manual, but, it is printed on newsprint paper, and very blurry and not well done. You know how that is. I've been on Youtube today and found some learning stuff. And we do have a photography club her in my town. I just need to go to it. Thanks for all your help, and I will be putting other stuff out there for critique, but, I'm learning to be very careful in working on my pieces. You all really catch everything! Pat

Well, it's not really about "catching" you out or just carping upon perceived inadequacies! The Lord knows we can all do that and get it back in spades! That said, if it helps you to move on, all of us that subscribe to these threads will do our best to help. I can recommend equipment but I really know Canon better than Nikon or other brands. If you want to move into the DSLR market... tell us what make you are thinking of and I'm sure there is someone here with experience of that make who can help. The same goes for the Genre you want to shoot...and there are many knowledgeable photographers here who know tons more about post processing than I do who are also a valuable resource for you.
The photo club is a great idea... do go and join, introduce yourself and tell them what you want out of being there. If you can get out with one of them for a day that would be a great learning opportunity and you should take it...
Much of what you want does depend on availability of time and your budget. We all appreciate both and will help you within those constraints.

All the best

Kind regards
Rolf

Rolf No PH ... Big Grin

[/quote]

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Petographer
Jun 10, 2006, 00:45
Last Post by shuttertalk
Jun 7, 2005, 18:26