Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The half-life of cherry blossoms

The cherries bloomed early this year, thanks to warm weather, but the recent rains and cooler temps have hastened the blooms' demise.

I shot this with a puffy white cloud as background for a high-key effect; +3 EC.

[Image: 120325_60D_0120.jpg]

This was in a shady spot, with a warmer white balance setting, and a macro lens:

[Image: 120325_60D_0130-1.jpg]

The petals were falling rapidly, like snow flurries at times, accumulating on the grass and the tree roots that were peeking through in some places.

[Image: 120325_60D_0121.jpg]

Nice series.

Canon stuff.

Well caught.
They seem to self destruct, a few days after blooming every year. Wind rain frost seems to catch them unawares. You would think nature would know better.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Beautiful. I really like your contrast treatment. It makes the blooms look like heaven.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Very nice stuff. Great to see your photos again.

We have a charry tree next to the drive in our new house, my car is wearing most of the blossoms... Great images Smile

Beautiful work Mitch - love the milky treatment.

#1 and #3 are perfect IMHO - the petals contrast really nicely with the wood grain.

With #2, I think the DOF is a bit narrow, although I know how tricky those macros can be.

Hey thanks for looking, folks!

Good point about the DOF in #2; I'd have preferred more also. I'm sure I had the camera on auto pilot and I was only playing with exposure comp (a la #1.) Plus it was breezy and I couldn't sacrifice speed for DOF, unfortunately.

The really good thing about #1 is that I learned my camera has +/- 3 stops of exposure comp! I didn't know that until I was fiddling with the dial. Smile

These are fantastic – so far beyond anything I've taken.

The blossoms are about a month early here, and the trees near me are just on the verge of bloom. But after a week of warm weather, we've had a couple of cold days and a night that went below freezing. Many of the flowers are already looking tired and shrivelled. It's not looking like a good year for them yet again.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Very nice Slej. Smile

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Dec 24, 2017, 14:40
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Sep 24, 2017, 18:39