Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The "which version" dilemma

I normally avoid such a dilemma by just choosing, so this is really hypothetical...but:

Which one(s) work, in your opinion? Imagine they are all to be wall-mounted at a good size of A3+....would the type of venue dictate which treatment used, do you think?
I'm only asking for an opinion on the pp treatment by the way.

They are, in order:

#1 A "straight" colour version, as shot, no adjustments, all as "standard", white balance "as shot".
#2 A conversion in Black and White Studio, with red filtration; I loaded one of my tone curve presets which gives slightly warmer mids and neutral highlights.
#3 Another conversion in BW Studio: green filtration(green is good for textures in architecture); simulated blue toner.
#4 Another black and white, no filtration. Added a semi-opaque layer of sepia and another with a strong warm-up filter.

[Image: 1670crescColWeb.jpg]

[Image: 1670crescBWwarmWeb.jpg]

[Image: 1670crescBWblue.jpg]

[Image: 1670cresctintBW.jpg]

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

i like the color and the last (tinted) versions.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Zig Wrote:Which one(s) work, in your opinion? Imagine they are all to be wall-mounted at a good size of A3+....would the type of venue dictate which treatment used, do you think?
I would pick the colour (#1) for printing on glossy paper in an area where it would have to compete with other colour prints/items for attention. Otherwise, in a more muted or introspective environment - or one where you'll have to live with it for an extended period of time - I'd choose the warm-tone B&W (#2). As a print, I think it's more pleasing than the cool-tone print, and to be honest I'm not quite sure what to make of the fourth, which seems 'neither fish nor fowl'. An interesting look, but I doubt it would translate into a print.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I prefer #2 and #4. I agree with Matt's analysis of why #2 works better than #3 - so nothing really to add there.

I like that treatment on #4. The first time I saw this was your Johnny Depp photo I think - but I have always liked its muted tones every time I have seen it since. I also am not sure how this one will translate to a large print - but it would be an interesting experiment either way. How big is A3 paper anyway, y'all?

(http://www.dpandi.com/paper/index.html)

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Your image has beautiful design. Lovely lines and clear shape, very clean composition that covers the whole frame and guide your eye from one side to the other in a very pleasant and relaxed way. I see it as looking ancient art with modern eyes.

About the post processing I feel more attracted by #1 and #2.

#1 has beautiful light and colors. However, I think the yellow is a bit pale a bit desaturated. I know this is normal, but if we compare it with the strong blue (thinking about colors only), I think a bit saturated and warmer yellow in the building would give a nice explosion of colors that contrast with the relaxed design of your image.

#2 It is beautiful. Contrast light all is great in this picture. It looks very stylish.

The other two don't say much to me. I don't feel attracted. Both are great treatments but I don't think they match with with subject.

I saw your asked to review only your post processing, but there is a little detail at the left in top line of the building that looks cropped. I think it would look better if you clone it out. The line would look cleaner.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Number 1 & 2 for me too Smile The composition is great, you made a wonderful photograph.
Thank you dear Zig,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Fascinating responses; thank you all very much.

[ Actually Irma, yes: the image is uncropped, full-frame...were I to commit it to print, I would indeed clone out the chimney detail on the far left...also cropping a wee bit from the RH side so as to get the corner-line of the building matching the corner of the print. Smile ]

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

I prefer #2.5 Big Grin
That is to say, I like the mono version, but I think #2 is a bit warm and #3 is a bit cold. I like straight up b/w, no tints. So yeah, I'm going for #2.5

I think the blue sky in #1 is very striking, but unfortunately it's drawing attention away from the interesting building into the boring sky. If there were some nice clouds in the sky then the blue would be great, but in this case the viewer has to fight against it to appreciate the detail in the building.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

"Never show a customer two prints of different density. He will ask you to print a third with a density between the two."
- Anonymous.

I can see where it is hard to decide.. Personally, I like the last one, though. I like the fact that it is tinted, but almost dull in a subtle kinda way. Looming! Great work.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post