Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

They're changing the guard at Buckingham Palace.

Buckingham Palace

They're changing guard at Buckingham Palace -
Christopher Robin went down with Alice.
Alice is marrying one of the guard.
"A soldier's life is terribly hard,"
Says Alice.
We saw a guard in a sentry-box.
"One of the sergeants looks after their socks,"
Says Alice.

We looked for the King but he never came.
"Well, God take care of him, all the same,"
Says Alice.

They've great big parties inside the grounds.
"I wouldn't be King for a hundred pounds,"
Says Alice.

A face looked out, but it wasn't the King's.
"He's much too busy a-signing things,"
Says Alice.

"Do you think the King knows all about me?"
"Sure to, dear, but it's time for tea,"
Says Alice

Anyway I never saw either of them, but I am sure they were there.

[Image: chguard.jpg]

[Image: chguard2.jpg]

This happens daily during the summer months and the traffic is stopped until the guards march out of the palace and back to their respective barracks.
There are a lot of different regiments involved and I don't know which we were actually watching.

Football tonight, and tomorrow afternoon so more to follow later. Got to get my priorities right. Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Beautiful pictures NT. I think the light was great to have all those reds and blacks with so much detail.

I was just thinking that it would be good to know what time this event is. Imagine people in a taxi paying just for waiting to pass the guards. Ouch!

I love the writing as well... Wink

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

They stop all vehicles going into the square/circle/roundabout in front of Buckingham Palace just before the changing of the guard and allow them through after the ceremony.
You would not get anywhere near in a taxi I am sorry to say. We arrived at about 12.00 noon just after the 'changing' had finished but the troops were still in the Palace Yard.
The sun was shining and a lot of contrast and it was rather warm 28 C. Wink - As I can't see any shadow in my pics maybe the sun had gone behind a cloud or my memory has gone.
A Link to times days etc. http://www.changing-the-guard.com/
We went by train on Monday and arrived in London at our hotel at about 3.00pm and then set off to walk to the Houses of Parliament. About 1 mile into the walk, my camera battery died and of course I had left the spare back at the hotel. Then my hearing aid battery gave up the ghost, and guess where the spares were? Back home 200 mile away Rolleyes
So eventually we got to the West End and after a liquid lunch I acquired batteries at Boots the chemist. Next day we went on a boat trip 'Hop on - Hop off' saw various sights and then water we had a bus trip to see London By Night. ( Bit of a bumpy bus and it didn't stop much Sad ) Most of our journeys were by bus which is free for Seniors/Old Age Pensioners/ Doddery old buggers, Big Grin or concessionary rates.
The 3rd day we were on the 10 38 am train back home so no time to take much.

The poem is something we used to sing as children and is something to do with AA Milne (the Writer) and 'Winnie the Pooh'
p.s. These were taken with the panny, due to not wanting to carry the weight of the Canon and lenses.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by kNox
Sep 1, 2014, 03:43