Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Time to change?

Hi, just wondering what everyone thought of the forum software we use, and whether you see a need for "upgrading" to a different one. We currently use PunBB (www.punbb.org) with a few modifications.

The reason why I chose PunBB in the first place was because it was simple, elegant, efficient and lightweight. No unnecessary graphics, features, etc. However, I've come to realise that a few nice-to-haves are missing, raising the need to modify and customise the script (e.g those bbcode & smiley buttons, image upload, and a few other backend stuff). I've been quite happy with the way it is so far (well maybe I'll add a private messaging system though) but I'm dreading the day when the next version of PunBB comes out - the upgrade will most likely wipe out all my modifications and I'll have to add them in again.

I've been eyeing MyBB(www.mybboard.com) as a potential replacement candidate. It's relatively efficient (when compared to phpBB, invision, etc.) and yet contains all the features straight out of the box.

What do you think? Should I migrate now, while we're still small, so it doesn't cause too much of a disruption? Or is it not worth it - having lots of bloated features that you probably won't use anyway...

If you vote to keep PunBB, do let me know if there any suggestions of changes you'd like to see. If you vote to change, let me know if MyBB is the right choice, or whether you'd like something else...

I say keep PunBB, If it means keeping PunBB I'll help reinstall all the mods if and when required, this is one of the main resons I joined, other tan being photopgraphy forum with a few aussies =), PunBB has all that you need and with the BBCode mod it does every thingit needs with out the unneeded bloat.

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

I'm happy with things as they are! Big Grin

Cave canem

I'm an AMBASSADOR, with the emphasis on the BASS bit! Wink

Cave canem

Hahah congrats, Rufus! Now, go forth and spread the word... Smile

Rufus the ambassador Tongue hehe

If there's no problem, then theres no need to change it, but if you really believe the other is better, should change it before more people join, otherwise it would inconvienience many more people than there are now.
How long will it be down for if you do it?

adam Wrote:How long will it be down for if you do it?

Actually, I don't know whether it's possible yet... they don't seem to have any converters (migration utilities) available. If I do change, I'll need to spend some time investigating the db table structure to import all our posts and users. Sad

My offer is still open, and always will be =)

Note: I am/have not been in MSN as I am in linux and Cannot for some reason seem to get MSN to work, will be back in ASAP =)

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10

Hrmm .. im still learning PHP .. so not that l33t yet ..
but yeah .. seems like a descent BB script ..

So.... what IS for dinner? Big Grin

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

IF you coming to my place tell me and I'll throw on a few Snags on the bbq for ya =)

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10

In light of the "announcements" thread today, I have changed my opinion.

Stuff 'em!!!

:x

Cave canem

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Phil J
Jul 10, 2014, 14:58