Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Toad's Iceland: Toad at Dimmuborgir

Photo by Steve Deering (my hiking buddy)

[Image: Rob%20Portrait.jpg]
Canon G12 ISO 80 F4 1/1000 sec

By posting this in Snapshots, I don't want to diminish the quality of this portrait which is exactly the type of picture that I have been wishing somebody would take of me for years...

Well done for sticking your mugshot on, even if it makes you a troglodyte. Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Thanks NT

Very nice, it's a great portrait and an impressive scene. You look like you're having a grand time.

But… wow. In case you've ever wondered if it was worth the extra money to get an M9 instead of just using a G12, well, the answer is a big "yes!" I could tell that it wasn't a photo of yours just from a quick look at the top quarter of the image.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Thanks Matt - I was thinking exactly the same thing. Can't let a picture this dramatic of myself slide by though...

It might make for an interesting B&W conversion… Big Grin

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

That's a fantastic portrait Rob, you must be very happy with it.
Good on you for posting it too! I believe a photographer who isn't prepared to jump in front of the camera themselves from time to time has no business telling other people they should. Smile

It is such a shame that the photo was let down by the G12's lens and that horrific purple fringing. I found it really distracting (I'm turning into a lens snob!) like when you stumble across a spelling mistake in a book. As it happened when I viewed the image, I already had photoshop open...
So I hope you or the photographer don't mind, but I had a quick play in an attempt to do it justice:

[Image: Rob.jpg]

If you want me to remove it then just say the word. I don't want to offend the guy who shot it by screwing around with his work if he's sensitive about it. Alternately if you like it I can send you the PSD file so you can copy the layers onto the high-res image. Smile

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Very nice job, Kombi. I would be happy to get your psd file and convert the original hi res version. Might as well make this whole photo a team effort, right?

Toad Wrote:Very nice job, Kombi. I would be happy to get your psd file and convert the original hi res version. Might as well make this whole photo a team effort, right?
Here you go... (6.5mb) Smile

Note that there are 2 tone curve layers there with masks. You'll either have to resize the masks or re-draw them. They should be pretty self-explanatory. One is for the sky, the other is for your skin-tones.

Adrian Broughton

Danku well!

I suppose the layer that does my skin tones will be labeled "boozy red".

hahaaha..

Oh, I forgot to mention that (using Photoshop CS5) I ran a "Lens Correction" filter over the main image, and under the "Manual Correction" settings I shifted the "Purple Fringing" slider pretty much all the way to the left,

Adrian Broughton

Unlike most of you, I am not too worried about a bit of chromatic aberration, particularly for landscape type photos. It is usually simple to fix in software, as shown in this case. perhaps for some critical commercial applications (some product photography) I do not see chromatic aberration as an issue which would make me pay big money to avoid.

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

Nice to meet you once again dear Robert Smile This is exactly the most beautiful and impressive portrait I have ever seen. Thank you, with my love, nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Gee whiz! I'll tell my friend. He will be thrilled with your comment, I'm sure.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Toad
Feb 22, 2012, 15:22
Last Post by Toad
Feb 22, 2012, 15:21