Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Too windy for macro

It was too windy for photographing wild flowers along the Cornish headlands, yesterday, so practised landscapes instead. Used PP to bring out the detail in the sky and produce a little more moody feel.

(Jun 14, 2013, 03:31)Dean Wrote:  It was too windy for photographing wild flowers along the Cornish headlands, yesterday, so practised landscapes instead. Used PP to bring out the detail in the sky and produce a little more moody feel.

These are spectacular.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Thanks Don.

Very nice! Thanks for posting and sharing! Especially love the first one, but I am partial to this kind of scene! :0)

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Thanks Barbara

Great photos (and colors) !

(Jun 14, 2013, 13:46)Korry Wrote:  Great photos (and colors) !
Thanks, Korry. Note - no cotton wool water!

Awesome shots, I especially like the second one! The clouds, however, have something "off" about their texture - might just be me, though. Smile

too much contrast do you think?

I think so. Maybe drop the PP altogether on the clouds, since they're not the focus of the photo. But again, that may just be me, I have a thing for unprocessed photos.

thanks, I’ll try that with another shot.

Awesome shot Don. Yes it is windy but the scene is really amazing. Love it how you compose the image.

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

(Jun 17, 2013, 16:57)PhotoPlay Wrote:  Awesome shot Don. Yes it is windy but the scene is really amazing. Love it how you compose the image.
thanks

Dean,

Only just got around to seeing these, 'wonderful or magnificent' would be a good description of them. However, seeing as to where you live, 'their a proper job my ansumn'!! Big Grin

Regards.

Phil.

I agree regarding the over-processing of the clouds. For me, each of these two shots has features that would benefit the other. The first looks even better on my screen after applying similar colour saturation and contrast as are present in the second (apart from the clouds). I think that the second would be even better if the camera had been turned to the portrait orientation used for the first, and tilted down slightly, to include the whole pink-flower plant and a bit less of the sky.

Philip

The top one, on my screen,! horizon tilts down to right. It's a bit flat. Bottom, could stand a bit more punch, great possibilities. Ed.

(Nov 24, 2013, 06:41)EdMak Wrote:  The top one, on my screen,! horizon tilts down to right.

You are correct there, Ed, but the photo is not actually tilted - all the walls of the building on the hillside are vertical, as they should be. I think the horizon has been affected by the perspective of the shot, probably due to the camera being pointed down slightly to include the whole of the foreground bay.

Philip

Would not have thought that was possible Philip, or, perhaps I should say, never conscious of it happening to me. Editing is a possibility? Ed.

(Nov 24, 2013, 12:10)EdMak Wrote:  Would not have thought that was possible Philip, or, perhaps I should say, never conscious of it happening to me. Editing is a possibility? Ed.

In the distance the horizon is comprised of hills. Hills tend to go up and down or at least undulate and are therefore neither straight or level. Cornwall has lots of hills and understandably these behave rather like other hills and even mountains. It's possible to draw a comparison between the images represented here and something similar taken going up (or down) the A9 in Scotland, in that the horizon is anything but straight.

Looking lower down the photograph the line of the sea going out of the bay is not unnatural in that it curves up to the left towards the 'vanishing point' in the same way it would have been seen by the painter of a painting of the same scene. The camera just captured exactly what was in front of it at the time.

With the greatest respect to both Ed and Philip, I believe you are both agonising over the inconsequential. Smile The fact is, that both photographs are very high quality and totally representative of the Cornish coastline, a coastline with which I am very familiar.

Regards.

Phil.

Thanks for the comments all, and the support, Phil. There could be a bit of lens distortion in the second photograph, which might explain the concern about the horizon. Not how the left hand side of the engine house has a bow in it. However, that could be how it is. can’t remember.
Dean

(Nov 24, 2013, 13:21)Phil J Wrote:  With the greatest respect to both Ed and Philip, I believe you are both agonising over the inconsequential. Smile

Strange comment, Phil! Confused Ed simply reported the observation that the horizon is titled, which is true. I simply stated the evidence that Dean didn't tilt the photo, which is true. To try to be helpful to anyone interested, I added one sentence, a simple explanation which could be true. Neither Ed's nor my post indicates "agonising" - and your post about the horizon is much longer than ours! Wink Smile

And they are both good photos of Cornwall, Dean!

Philip

(P.S. Dean - Ed and I were discussing the horizon in the first photo.)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post