Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Trampoline and Tumbling Nationals

Hello yall ,

I had the privilege of shooting probably the biggest event that i will ever get to shoot . There were 5 photogs including myself . The lighting was the hardest that i have had to face , and there was no flash allowed . White balance was all over the place . But all in all i had a great time , i shot over 8000 pictures in a week , learned more about my cameras abilities and how important timing is in sports shooting .
The events were very interesting to me , there was Trampoline , Double Mini Trampoline , Synchronized Trampoline , and Tumbling . I started out shooting trampoline , but i wanted to get a feal for tumbling , those " kids " move fast ! and we were all having to shoot @ Iso 3200 , F 2.8 , just to try to get a shutter speed above 1/500 th . They tumbled so fast that even 1/500th wasnt fat enough all the time ! I found that i really dont like to " burst " while shooting , it seemed that i would " just miss " that action , although if i had WS's Mark 3 that prob would have been a problem LOL .
Some of these " kids " were/ are going to the Olympics ! which was so exciting to me !
Enough of my rambling here are a few of my favorite shots . Thanks for reading ..

A future Olympian , we were told that this boy is going to be in the 2012 Olympics if all goes well for him .

[Image: _MG_3314%20copy_filtered.jpg]

Here are some of my tumbling shots .

[Image: _MG_6961%20copy_filtered.jpg]

[Image: _MG_6972%20copy_filtered.jpg]

[Image: _MG_7810_filtered.jpg]

[Image: _MG_8115%20copy_filtered.jpg]

[Image: _MG_8632%20copy_filtered.jpg]

A few from the trampoline

A swan dive

[Image: _MG_9023%20copy_filtered.jpg]

A toe touch ( i think thats what they call this )

[Image: _MG_9073%20copy_filtered.jpg]

Look at that face Big Grin

[Image: _MG_9869%20copy_filtered.jpg]

Thanks for looking , i hope yall enjoyed these . ANy C/C is welcome .

....... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Shawn - these are great. Must have been a blast having such great action to shoot.

Canon stuff.

Congratulations Drake - you did great with fast action and difficult lighting. With your recent gigs, you are well on your way...

Thanks WS and Toad ,

that means a lot from both of yall .

Yea WS it was a lot of fun , i couldnt wait to shoot each day . Sales have been real good too , made it worth the long hours . I had to work my day job and then go shoot , wore me out but it was worth it to me .
Thanks Toad , i have so many more that i am proud of but i didnt want to bore yall LOL . I am starting to get my " real " gear up so i hope to be able to get more gigs that will keep me going .
The lighting taught me a bunch , i really found the limits of my 20d , i dont think i could have done much more to push that camera LOL ..

...... Shawn

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

g'day BD, great series of shots! Sounds like you had a blast and the results show.

I like #2 looks like he is suspended from the ceiling.........

well captured

Banded Drake Wrote:Sales have been real good too , made it worth the long hours . I had to work my day job and then go shoot , wore me out but it was worth it to me .
LOL - Believe me - I know that feeling Smile

Canon stuff.

Thanks Russt ( and WS again ) .

I am glad you like the shots Russt , my wife really likes that shot too .

.... Shawn

What great shots Shawn...I like the concentration on their faces....It's also good to hear your getting a return for your hard work..

Sharon Smile

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

Thanks Sharon ,

I am glad you enjoyed these too , and yea it feels good to get some return for the work . I think what makes me feel better ( if this makes sence ) , is they are buying pics . Which tells me that we were shooting what they want to see .

.... Shawn

Hi Shawn,

Did you get paid to shoot every day - or do you just get paid on prints ordered?

Canon stuff.

Wow Shawn, these are great action captures! A job well done...

Thanks ST , I am glad that you like these they were a lot of fun !

WS , the way we did it was the parents could " pre order " there shots , we gaurented that we would be at there event , then we set them up with a privite gallery ( web ) that they could choose which shot they wanted . They payed a good bit for us to be there so we shot as much as possible of there kid .
Then we shot as much as we could of eveyone else , but with no guarantes . But in all honesty , we were covering almost every event .
We split all the " pre orders " by the amount of hours worked , and then we get almost all of our " freelance " shots that are sold .
I am still getting sales and its been about 4 weeks . We are all doing pretty well in the sales area , but as of last night i am pretty much on top of sales . Big Grin . Makes me feel good mainly because i was the one out there with the least amount of experence . But i am being taught to shoot sports by one of the best in the area , so i really owe him some of the credit .

If you want to know more about the way we were set up PM me and ill try to explain more .
To be honset i wish i could shoot like that full time . I dont think i have ever enjoyed shooting as much as i did that week !

....... Shawn

Sounds great Shawn - congratulations on the shots and the set up for the shoot.

Canon stuff.

Excellent pictures Shawn. I know how difficult it is, from trying to get wildlife and birds in flight.:/
Moving subjects are a pain, and yet a test of your experience. Smile

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Thanks NT ,

glad you liked these ,

..... Shawn

Holy cow! What a quick eye and a steady hand.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Thanks Don !

... Shawn