Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tree through welding glass

This is my first attempt at daytime long exposure. I'd have messed around with the camera settings more but I was in a big hurry. I was sure I got nothing worth my time, but I really liked this one.

Bonus points for whoever guesses how the photo was made.

Attached Files Image(s)

Uhm, you stole your dad's old welding glass?

You're half right. I bought a new one Big Grin

Uh, okay. I just noticed that I gave it away in the title. I made the post last night after quite a long drive and the fatigue took over. So yeah, welding glass it is.

What effect were you looking for here? It is an interesting experiment but the effect seems to be mostly to reduce sharpness and contrast.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

It's a great shot, I would love to see it in color as well Big Grin

(Nov 7, 2012, 17:05)alessya Wrote:  It's a great shot, I would love to see it in color as well Big Grin

You took the words out of my mouth! I wondered as well what the photo would look like in color - it could provide a very interesting scene! Huh

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

@Don: Something like this. The sharpness was reduced because of the wind - it was almost unbearable and it moved the leaves about during the capture. Oh well, lesson learned, I'll stick to more stable subjects next time.

@Barbara: the glass is tinted and the photo came out with a strong green tint, I had to settle with gray scale, unfortunately.

I was going to guess you set up a tripod and caught the clouds moving. Smile

I'd still be curious to see the color version, you can tweak it a bit in photoshop and show it to us if you are confortable with that Big Grin

I'm going to give it a try, but I'm not *that* good in PS unfortunately Big Grin

Or you can post it on the forum and let people give you advice on how to improve it in PS Big Grin

An even better idea! I'll post the green-tinted one when I get home!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Jocko
Aug 12, 2016, 06:14
Last Post by Barbara G.
Nov 23, 2014, 07:46
Last Post by EdMak
Nov 18, 2013, 14:43