Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Two Portraits from the Forks

[Image: sunbathemanSM.jpg]
Sun Bather Man

[Image: birdonheadSM.jpg]
Man Putting a Bird on His Head

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Greetings Don,

Seeing as though these are in the critique forum, I'll bite and offer my .02 cents.

Pic 1. I am not really sure this is interesting enough to be called a portrait. When I look at protraits, especially street portraits I am looking for a story waiting to be told. That's the true adage of a pic says 1000 words. In this case, I am not seeing this. Why this person? What are you trying to convey? What is the story you are trying to tell?

Pic 2. The very fact that we are unable to see his face (or even a part of it) makes me think this was taken a moment too late. Had you not told me he was putting a bird on his head, I wouldn't even have noticed. Its almost as if he is adjusting his hat. The blurred out portion in front of his face is distracting.

In my own humble opinion, if the photographer has to tell you what the picture is in a text byte, then it is not obvious enough what you are trying to convey.

I am interested in your thoughts on this.

Cheers,

JT

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by gerainte
Jan 24, 2014, 15:24
Last Post by vlad
Feb 11, 2013, 13:20