Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

View from Mont Tremblant

[Image: IMG_4942_resize1.jpg]

This is the view looking west from the summit of Mont Tremblant in the Province of Quebec, Canada. It is the highest mountain in the Laurentian area and one of the premier ski resorts in Canada. Some of the downhill ski trails can be seen in the photo. Of course, it looks completely different in the summer; although equally spectacular from any side. The ride up to the top in the gondola is always thrilling. The condo where we stay is just on the far side of the lake below (Lac Tremblant). The "variable" weather last August produced some attractive cloud formations. The photo was taken around midday, so lighting was not ideal, but it was when I was up there.

Any comments welcome.....Dennis

This is brilliant. How did you get those colors? It looks like HDR.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Thanks very much, Don! No, it's not an HDR. I was very much impressed with the dramatic clouds that day, so I used a polarizer filter to emphasize the blue sky and contrast there, I must admit to some post processing in Elements (I'm just learning that software). I use RAW almost exclusively, so that a great deal of information is present in the image file. First, I added fill light in the RAW converter to bring out detail in the lower part of the photo. After converting, I selectively darkened the sky to emphasize the clouds (I hope I didn't overdo it). And a few other minor tweaks. Anyway, it's quite a bit different from the way it first came out of the camera, but this image seems to be the way I remember the scene. I wish that there was some object in he immediate foreground, but I was standing at the top of a 50 foot observation tower

......Dennis

(I hope I didn't overdo it).

I think you did. Big Grin
Even allowing for my monitor being 6 years old.
But check it against one of Zig's landscapes.

It may be the way you selected the sky, but it looks like it is kind of 'cut and paste'.
Having said that it depends what effect you want, but IMO it is not realistic.

I may be off line for a day or so. (Rebooting windows and ditching a few obsolete programs, should clear any bugs in my system.)

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Thanks for your welcome input, NT! I think now that the photo isn't quite the way I would like it. I'm still learning some of the subtleties of the software. I guess I have a long way to go. However, the possibilities are very exciting to me......Dennis

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by MBS
Jul 6, 2020, 02:38
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Jul 31, 2017, 20:03